Thread: Moving to a small town (by Wanda Urbanska & Frank Levering)

Moving to a small town (by Wanda Urbanska & Frank Levering)

I was fortunate to find this at our Salvation Army for 99 cents. It's been on my list for some time. I don't have a super huge book collection, however, consider it a nice read that I've thumbed through and am digging into this weekend!

Has a great recommendation for it by YMOYL's Vicki & Joe.

Being that we're back and forth between homestead and the townhouse, and considering full time on the homestead, thought it would give me some good perspective and they also address recasting careers (one area that husband would need to address, as there's no airports anywhere near this place! and he's worked in aviation his entire adult life).

Anyone read it or have found it helpful?
    Reduce the complexities of life by eliminating the needless wants of life, and the labors of life reduce themselves. - Edwin Way Teale

Great find. I haven't read that one yet.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

The inside says 'Guidebook for moving from urban to rural America'. One thing I love about our suburb/urban areas is all of the art and farmer's markets, museums.. neat cafes. It's funny because visiting the homestead now, I've discovered things that all of the relatives out there didn't even know existed. A cafe and meetup group at the large Culture Center and park nearby. Frequent arts fairs, a blossoming yet still young farmer's market and exchange, a yoga studio, bicyclist meetup, a corner cafe, a sustainable farm that actually brings their produce to our hip urban farmer's market and offers coffee meet up and permaculture type sessions at their farm and organic/vegan potluck. Just thumbing through this book, I can tell it's going to be a good read because it's so true that when you seek out community, there's more resources than face value one may realize. I even found that a neighbor of there's that homeschooled and was part of a homeschool group, said when I visit over the Summer with the kids (while husband is away) that I could join in with their group for their field trips.

Just neat that sometimes coming to a rural area with that suburban/urban mind, you can still seek out things that are of interest to you. This reminds me a bit of that Diane Keaton movie from the 80's. Baby Boom. And she moved to the country farmhouse and carved out a new life..
    Reduce the complexities of life by eliminating the needless wants of life, and the labors of life reduce themselves. - Edwin Way Teale

I haven't read it, sounds neat. I must say that Bayou Girl's 4,000 dollar house sent me country dreaming....

Thread Information