Thread: Where will all the campaign yard signs go?

Where will all the campaign yard signs go?

I had forgotten about this until today when I noticed my neighborhood yards are much like a porcupine with all the campaign signs sticking up. I was visiting a friend in a neighboring town in an election a few years ago. He had called one of the party headquarters and they assured him they would be collected and recycled. He is a bit of a dumpster diver and after the election we scouted the dumpster behind the headquarters and it was stuffed full of election signs.

If you take off the sign part, the wire part is great for a nice lightweight row cover for the garden. Just stick them in a row and cover with plastic or frost blanket.

I usually go collect 10 or 20 after any election for that purpose. They just go in the trash otherwise.

There are only two on my street this year. I've noticed some neighborhoods where every single house has to screech about its political preferences, grateful I don't live in one. Everyone votes, nobody feels the need to crow about who they are voting for, nor convince others why their candidate's the best.

The question is, what will I do with the big pawprint car magnet that says "Bark Obama" after the election? (given to me by a lefty-liberal friend )

In 1000 years anthropologists will debate who these Obama and Romney beings were. They might even be mistaken for the great thinkers of our day.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    In 1000 years anthropologists will debate who these Obama and Romney beings were. They might even be mistaken for the great thinkers of our day.

I googled it and the Denver metro area has some drop off sites with dedicated roll-offs for the signs. Not sure about other places. For some reason I was mistakenly thinking the candidates had some responsibility or might voluntarily collect them.

I suspect there still will be plenty left for the anthropologist's landfill studies. Hopefully they will not be mixed in with lost pet and garage sale signs, which could cause confusion.

pug, good idea. I've got 3 Romney signs. I could use them as giant markers for lily production beds. These beds are hidden behind a fence and they don't need to look pretty.

People who run for local office will often pick up all their signs and save them for the next election.

The plastic corplast signs can be used by beekeepers. There is an anti-beetle medication that is put inside the tubes of the corrogation so the bees don't get into it and the beetles crawl in an eat it and die. It's been a few years since I kept bees, but that was the latest discovery at the time. So, see if any beekeepers in your area want the corplast part. Also, check some craft sites. The corplast can be used to make stuff. One site has a kayak made from a 4'x8' piece. It actually works as a kayak for an adult. He also made a small trolling boat with a motor from a sheet of corplast. http://www.elkinsdiy.com/
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

I think those things should be illegal, at least on public property. For months after the last election I was seeing wire rods, sans signs, all over local roads.

Thread Information