Thread: Be prepared: Home remedies for cold and flu

Be prepared: Home remedies for cold and flu

Hey everyone...

I thought it would be wise to be prepared for the winter, so I made a list of the best home remedies and natural-home-treatments

to banish the flu and cold in 24 hours (I use them every year and they work great for all us...)

I thought some of you may find this helpful, so here it is:

This is my list of the best flu remedies, which do not include swine flu shots, seasonal flu shots, Tylenol, fever reducers and trips to the ER. Ready? Here we go.

• Do not attempt to work, do house chores or anything that doesn’t include complete rest. If you really want to stop the flu in 24 hours, don’t put more obstacles in front of your body and let it focus on flu-banishing only. Rest and sleep as much as you can.
    • Water – The minute you feel the first sign of a cold or flu, start drinking a lot of water – Up to a gallon and a half for an adult.
    • Hot Fluids and Chicken Soup – Hot fluids, such as hot water with lemon and honey, herbal teas and lots of homemade chicken soup help the body’s immune system and stop proliferation of the flu virus. But one cup of tea is not enough people, sip the stuff continuously until you can’t even look at it anymore.
    • Chicken Soup Alternative – If you have no strength to make chicken soup (and no one else to make on for you); garlic tea is an easy and effective alternative. Garlic is a powerful anti-bacterial herb. Peel 2-3 cloves of fresh garlic and lightly crush them. Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Simmer for another 15 minutes, strain the garlic and allow it to cool. Add raw honey and lemon and drink as much as you like.
    • Remove all sugars and carbs until you are symptom free. If you haven’t heard the news yet, sugars are toxic, so stay away from them in the 24 hours.
    • Sambucol – This common natural remedy is and excellent defender again our arched enemy – The flu virus – And it’s safe for children too. It’s made of elderberry and it’s a powerful remedy for the cold and flu. I recommend keeping Sambucol at home always.
    • Organic Oregano oil – This super-hero-herb is scientifically proven to be affective for ear infections, sore throats (even those caused by Strep.) and the flu. It’s very strong though, too strong for children, but an adult can have 1 drop of oregano oil in water every 5-6 hours.
    • Vitamin Cchewable Vitamin C is a great solution for kids that refuse all the garlic and onion-honey cough syrups. Vitamin C will boost their immune system and the chewable ones made for kids are tasty.
    • Homemade Cough Syrup – This ancient remedy is still one of the most effective and speedy cough treatments. Wash, peel and slice (horizontally) an entire red onion (white is o.k. too). Cover the slices with raw honey and let it sit overnight. This will make you about a cup of nutrient-filled natural cough recipe that is completely safe for children. You can give your kids 1 tbsp every 5 hours and double for adults.

I hope you find this helpful...and by the way, I wrote a tutorial about making the natural alternative to Vicks rub at home (yes, Vicks has chemicals in it...), you can see it here if you'd like: http://www.natural-alternative-therapies.com/home-remedies-for-nasal-congestion/

Meital

Thank you! I've never tried Sambucol but will try it if we get the flu this years.

Also recommend good old gargling with warm salt water, and using a neti pot regularly.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post

Also recommend good old gargling with warm salt water, and using a neti pot regularly.

I agree, this works great!

I think I have the beginnings of a cold this morning. I haven't been sick in a couple of years and am hoping this will go away quickly. I have a vague recollection of having been around some sneezey children a few days ago.

I chopped up 2 cloves of garlic, mixed them with some buckwheat honey, and managed to swallow them. Ugh. Raw garlic is hard on my stomach, and I don't really like the sharpness, even in salad dressings. Also had some green tea.

Anyway, I knew there was a thread on this recently so wanted to review the suggestions others had for cold remedies!

Feel better, Rosemary!
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Mrs-M
    Super post, Frmeital! Thanks for it! Love the homemade cough syrup recipe!

Rosemary. Pop some extra vitamin C today (and for a few days after), and get lots of rest.

Thread Information