Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Minimalist's Cooking Pot

The Minimalist's Cooking Pot

Harmony's thread on the minimalist diet reminded me that I've been wanting to ask people what pot you'd cook with if you just had one.

For me, I often think it would be a good quality wok set since 8+ methods of cooking can be done in it. Other times I think I'd like a medium size Le Creuset cooking pot/lid.

If I cooked outside I'd like the three legged dutch oven with lid that can hold coals or be a frying pan. And then I consider that if it didn't have legs I could use it in or out.

But if I were backpacking, I'd prefer a lightweight titanium pot with frying pan lid. Debating the size though.

And then if I were to choose one to cover all the bases, I can't decide if I had rather have the titanium backpacking pot/lid or a smaller wok.

What would work best for the items you like to cook?

For me, my Le Creuset dutch oven. Perfect!

My 6-quart stainless steel covered pot. Oven-safe, too. I use it every single day, so it always sits on the stove after cleaning.

Fun thread! I am thinking it would be my Le Creuset knock-off dutch oven with lid. I could even bake bread in that.

I did have just one pot to cook in once. In the early 1970's, DH and I were moving from northern MN and shipped everything by greyhound we couldn't put in our car. Everything arrived safely except for the largest box shipped, and it contained every single piece of cookware I owned. Since we had only gotten married the year before everything was new and had been gifted to us. Well, I finally procured an electric skillet and I made everything in it - from spaghetti to popcorn! Didn't do this for a long time, but for awhile.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Surely be a nice Dutch Oven. I like 3-leg camping Dutch oven of Lodge.
    I did everything perfect!

Just one--ha! I guess it would be an electronic pressure cooker. Or a nice heavy skillet.

Iron dutch oven, yeah.

You can bake in those things. You know, if you bake.

Wildflower
    My slow cooker works alot of magic for me. I can do so much with it. I'm not talking crockpot, but a slow cooker... It has 5 different heat settings. I can simmer something all day long, or cook a quick meal in it... Actually, I think I could cook anything in it.

Really love it in the summer, since it doesn't heat up the kitchen at all...

If I am cooking only for myself, my 3 quart Revere ware stainless pot with lid which I have had for 30 years and use almost daily. If I am cooking for a crowd/family it would be the stock pot.

Now I am off to search for Harmony's thread on minimalist diet.
    author of A Holy Errand

Thread Information