Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite British Television shows?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I've never heard of Justified.. Sounds intriguing.. I'll admit that there's a LOT of deus ex machina that goes on in the script of DA, and that's my only real complaint. I just love the characters.
    Justified is better written and acted, although I often cant tell the difference netween mediocre acting and mediocre script. DA is original writing but is a pastiche of Victorian and Edwardian conventions and plots out of 2nd rate novels. Justified is also original writing, is clever, and while a drama, its got ironic humor. Not sure I ever cracked a smile when watching DA? Oh wait, Maggie Smith, well yeah, there is an example of excellent acting with mediocre material.

anyway, Justified is very violent so for that reason, it may not be your thing.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 4-28-16 at 11:34am.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    And double decker buses, armored personnel carriers and front end loaders. It was quite a sight. Sadly, they were cancelled when one of the principals hit an assistant who botched his lunch order. We will not see their like again.
    Their loathing of caravans was also a feature of a few programmes! Oh and their attempt to build hovercrafts and amphibious cars....

I miss them!

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    Their loathing of caravans was also a feature of a few programmes! Oh and their attempt to build hovercrafts and amphibious cars....

I miss them!
    I remember them trying to cross the channel in homemade amphibious cars and attaching balloons to a caravan to make it fly. Genius.

Abso-bleeding-lutely!

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Survivors from back in the 70s! I luffed that show! The new one was good too, but got cancelled so quickly.

Anyone watch Coupling?
    Ever read through the posts?

Just wrapped up ALL of Downton Abbey, which we started a few months ago. We packed in all 6 seasons by watching almost every night (except for when I was traveling). I feel these people live in my house, and they definitely live in my heart. I loved the characters--all of them, and particularly Thomas Barrow, Isobel Crawley, Anna and Daisy and Mrs. Patmore, and OMG, love Mrs. Hughes and Carson. And of course, the Earl and the Countess and Dowager Countess.

We re-watched the finale last night.

I am so compelled to start dressing for dinner. If only I could find a few people to serve me and dress me!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I would want Anna as my personal maid. I adore the dresses and especially the hats. I am partway through season 5. Is Season 6 on PBS.org?

Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    I would want Anna as my personal maid. I adore the dresses and especially the hats. I am partway through season 5. Is Season 6 on PBS.org?
    We watched it through my Amazon Fire--not sure if you can watch it on PBS.org, but worth a try!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Some of my favorite series these past few years have a British influence, although I'm not sure they're the same genre's this thread reflects. My current favorites include Penny Dreadful, set in London and New Mexico in the late 1800's and with characters including witches, werewolves, vampires, Dr's Frankenstein and Jekyll, Professor Van Helsing and even Dorian Gray. Then there's Black Sails, a pirate adventure set about 20 years before Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island and mixing some of his characters with real life historical pirates such as Blackbeard and Anne Bonny. Finally, there's Outlander, which probably needs no description here. I love them all.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I watched a bit of the new Top Gear with Chris Evans. I much prefer to watch reruns of the old show. Maybe someone really interested in cars would enjoy it, but I loved Jeremy, James and Richard's adventures more than anything.

Thread Information