Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Lucas' journal: a minimalist mission

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I would sell it myself over 3 days and donate the rest. I have done it many times for friends and family.
    No one is going to sell that lot in three days. Their subdivision couldn’t hold enough cars to bring in people to clean out that house. I suppose they could advertise the sale heavily and bus people in.

This is actually what sort of shocked/surprised/amazed/whatever me: 265 Pc. Rosenthal “Sansoucci” china set. 265 pieces! That's a lot of china!

But, admittedly, this is from someone still using the 30 year old wedding Corelle set, now down to 9 dinner plates, 10 soup bowls, 9 sandwich plates and 2 serving bowls.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

I think each of us veers towards a different spot on the continuum in terms feeling most happy if you are surrounded by a lot or a little. I veer on the "little"--I lived in a little Cape Cod growing up and my mother LOVED knick-knacks. She had Royal Doultons and Hummels and all kinds of stuff that really didn't fit in such a small house but it made her happy. I thought it was too much. Same with my MIL, but my MIL controlled her china figurine collections and Edinburgh crystal better than my mother did. However, it all came down to the same thing--lots of stuff.

And to ILs point, no one wants that kind of thing anymore. You can't give it away.

Looking at those photos my mind goes haywire. But I'm the type that drools over pictures of Thoreau's cabin and monks' quarters.

And I'm on the side of "spare the kids the burden of getting rid of it." Doing my Great Purge was an opportunity to learn what each kid really loved and wanted from my stuff. The rest I got rid of. Some of the stuff they wanted we gave to the kids at the time and we kept the other stuff. It's more than enough for them to claim once we're gone.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

IL, you are probably right and I don’t know how big the house is. I sold the stuff in a 3k house in three days and it took 4 days with 3 people to price things. In the garage we only priced the big items. I put my husband out there because he knew how much to charge people.

Terry, is it worth having a sale when people are not into collecting and they just have old, not great stuff? Will people buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Terry, is it worth having a sale when people are not into collecting and they just have old, not great stuff? Will people buy it?
    Yeah, that was my thought, too. When we had our garage sale, electronics went really fast--no matter how old. Old 70s receivers, big speakers from the old days, you name it. In fact my kids got mad at me for selling some of it. I couldn't imagine anyone wanting it but everything that goes around comes around and there's a market for those old things.

But forget the china and silver. I gave it away. I couldn't give away the Royal Doultons.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I snuck an old receiver out of the basement a few weeks ago and got rid of it.

I will never let on, it must have vanished.

Tybee, I made 2k for my friends so they thought it was worth it. What didn’t sell went on the donation truck that came a few days later.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Tybee, I made 2k for my friends so they thought it was worth it. What didn’t sell went on the donation truck that came a few days later.
    My brothers want to "just auction off" the contents of my parents' house. Which is fine, except no one has gone through it and systematically removed personal items and papers etc. I feel we need to go there and make the hard choices and do the grief work of actually dealing with things. No one will help, so they're saying, you go do it. Otherwise we'll just auction everything off.

I have spent weeks with my husband cleaning out garbage and fixing things so that it would look okay for anyone entering the house. Weeks and about 80 bags of garbage and broken stuff to the dump.

I'd rather deal with the remaining stuff and then either donate it or junk it, or auction the 95% of what is left. But it's not valuable stuff, it's furniture from 1980, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I snuck an old receiver out of the basement a few weeks ago and got rid of it.

I will never let on, it must have vanished.
    haha, glad it “ vanished.”

Thread Information