Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Repurpose ideas/suggestions?

I've turned vintage skirts into aprons. I'll turn anything into a planter. I use one of those sewing thread racks to hold necklaces. Probably my favorite repourpose is an old decorative flue piece that I had a mirror cut to fit. Its my favorite mirror.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Float On: I LOVE the idea of vintage skirts into aprons. Do you have any pictures of your mirror? It sounds really nice!!

Sorry so big but here is that mirror.
    Last edited by Float On; 2-19-11 at 5:13pm.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

That is awesome!

That is really, really pretty. Good eye to turn something that most would throw away into something truly beautiful!!

Mrs-M
    Courtesy of Bastelmutti's thread topic (What cleaning solution for Swiffer)? posted under the Housing forum, two more to add.
    • Prefold cloth diapers as Swiffer cloth replacement cleaning pads. (Courtesy of a church lady I know).
    • After the kids graduated from diapers, the diaper pins went straight into my notions box. (Best fixer-uppers, emergency tackers, as good as an extra set of hands "thingamajigs" when working on sewing projects)!

A friend told me her husband used an old wine carboy (plastic), cut a window in the side, turned it sideways and hung it in the garden as a rotating compost bin.

Mrs-M
    Quote Originally Posted by kally View Post
    A friend told me her husband used an old wine carboy (plastic), cut a window in the side, turned it sideways and hung it in the garden as a rotating compost bin.
    Neat-o! The fun/ingenious things people do with regular old standard household items/things.

I used a plastic tablecloth that I had gotten on sale to recover the seats of my outdoor chairs.

Today while at the craft store I bought four large Christmas gift boxes made out of some sort of smooth cardboard; they were on sale for 90% off. I'm going to stack them to make a doll house. The outside is black and the inside is red with a white snowflake (?) pattern. Eventually I'd like to recover the inside with scrapbook paper, with each "room" having a different pattern.

I used a large white kitty litter container as a flower pot last summer. I pulled off the plastic wrapper, cut off the top, poked some holes in the bottom, added some gravel and then soil. My zinnias really seemed to like it. (The flower pots I made out of 2 liter soda bottles didn't work so well, nothing would grow in them).

I buy second hand clothes with small interesting patterns to make doll clothes. I can find a variety of patterns in knit material from these that I can't find in the fabric stores.

I picked up a baby bottle rack at the thrift store one day for 99 cents. I use it as a thread rack for my larger spools of machine embroidery thread.

I've used seeds from stuff I've gotten at the grocery store to grow plants. Grew some cherry tomatoes one year from seeds from a cherry tomato I had bought. I saved seeds from those plants to plant the next year...and those plants had cherry tomatoes that were shaped different than their parents...they had pointed ends! It was really cool. I've grown a mango from a mango seed (sadly, it ended up dying). And once I grew a beautiful sweet potato plant from a sweet potato I planted--made an absolutely gorgeous house plant.

I'm sure there's more, just can't think of them right now.

Here's a link to a Youtube video where they make solar lights out of plastic soda bottles. How cool is that! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ms-oX-kdb8
    Last edited by Maxamillion; 1-11-12 at 12:35am.

Mrs-M
    Wow, Maxamillion! Super ideas!!! Love the doll house idea! (And the baby bottle drying rack is totally nifty)! Reminds me of something that Miss Cellane, posted a while back related to drying Ziploc baggies, and how she stands wooden spoons up in a dish-drainer for that.

Thread Information