Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would Donald Trump Make a Good President?

I don't know if there is such a thing as a negative role model but if there is mine would be Donald Trump. From his meglomania to his haircut he represents everything I despise.

Recently his behaviour over the developement of an unspoilt part of Scotland into a £1 billion golf course summed him up. Trump genuinely could not comprehend that some people prefer to spend time in the countryside and not play golf.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/ma...d-golf-protest

Three questions, three no's.

I'd love to see him run. As a Democrat.

wash your mouth out with soap, LDAHL.

The question that turns my hair gray isn't Trump per se, too many people despise him even as a Personality. But will there come a time when a president is actually elected on the basis of face recognition? When the thing that bring voters out of the woodwork in unprecedented droves is their approval of a candidate as a celebrity? Most people really like Kevin Kline. He played a really nice, ethical president once, ("Dave"), he was very sexy and sweet and responsible in Big Chill, and funny as all hell in A Fish Called Wanda. Charming, seems savvy but kind, gets great movie reviews, has good hair. Does that mean there could come a day when the umpty ump million people who don't currently vote or have any interest in or knowledge of politics get up en masse and pull the lever for him?
    Last edited by kib; 2-11-11 at 1:31pm.

No.

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    The question that turns my hair gray isn't Trump per se, too many people despise him even as a Personality. But will there come a time when a president is actually elected on the basis of face recognition? When the thing that bring voters out of the woodwork in unprecedented droves is their approval of a candidate as a celebrity? Most people really like Kevin Kline. He played a really nice, ethical president once, ("Dave"), he was very sexy and sweet and responsible in Big Chill, and funny as all hell in A Fish Called Wanda. Charming, seems savvy but kind, gets great movie reviews, has good hair. Does that mean there could come a day when the umpty ump million people who don't currently vote or have any interest in or knowledge of politics get up en masse and pull the lever for him?
    Didn't that happen to some degree in the last election?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

LDAHL.....pass your soap to Alan when you are finished, please............

edited to add: sadly there probably WERE people who voted for President Obama in just that way, as some of my very own relatives voted for Senator McCain because they were so entranced by the glamorous mother of five from Alaska. As one of them said, "well, she manages to have five kids, a house and a big job up there in Alaska....if she can juggle all that, she'd make a good President".

So.....only a "taste" of soap needed, Alan.....not a whole mouthful........

Does that mean there could come a day when the umpty ump million people who don't currently vote or have any interest in or knowledge of politics get up en masse and pull the lever for him?
    It's already happened, and more than once.

There have been several affable actors elected to higher public office. Some would say on face recognition... Ronald Reagan (gov, prez), Arnold Swartzenegger (gov), Jessie Ventura (gov), the guy from loveboat (Iowa?Nebraska?) (congress), Sunny Bono (congress), George Murphy (senator) ..... 5 of 6 were Republicans, don't remember the party of Ventura - could have been an Independent.

Then there was the 'mature' guy from the tv police drama who dinked about in the Republican primaries in '08. Cant remember his name.

Clint Eastwood was elected to city council, another Republican, but that was local politics. Did any opponent really stand a chance against Dirty Harry?

There could be more, these are the only ones I remember.

edit: and at least a couple pro athletes - Kemp (football) and Bill Bradley (basketball). One a Repub, the other a Dem.

These guys all start out with a foot up - not only are they used to being infront of the public, but they already have great name recognition, even if they lack political or legal experience.
    Last edited by Gina; 2-11-11 at 5:33pm.

Gina, I thought of a few of them, but I'm talking about going from The Office to The Oval Office without any trial period. Reagan had something of a career as a politico for quite a while, people had a chance to see him in action at least. Good evening, I'm Pat Sajak and I'll be your president for this evening. Would you like to buy a vowel? I'm sorry, "F" is not a vowel.

I realize that people are going to vote to some extent based on recognition, appearance and personal appeal, I doubt the public has Ever voted in a president simply because he was politically well-versed. But how far are we going to go down the road of celebridents?

I just have this vision that if it weren't Trump but someone more likeable, there might be a line out the door of people who never thought of voting in their lives suddenly excited about the prospect because there's who knows who that is, the droner, the other one with the mole, and... holy hell, Kevin Kline! Count me in!!

... yikes. maybe the electoral college isn't such a bad idea after all.
    Last edited by kib; 2-11-11 at 9:32pm.

Thread Information