Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sewing Machine Suggestions

Thank you all for your replies. I was actually considering one of the new plastic ones from Wallyworld. Your responses convinced me otherwise...Thanks much!

Quote Originally Posted by redfox View Post
    My Mom sold her Featherweight during the early 90's boom time for close to $500!

I just googled Featherweight, and that's the machine I was taught on by my great-aunt! I didn't know that's what it was called. Here's a pic--I use it as a bookend now! But I'm sure it would still work. I hardly ever sew now, and when I do I use my 1977 Kenmore.

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Featherweights are wonderful little machines.

I think if I were looking for a moderately priced machine today, I'd consider a Janome. I've read that some Kenmores are made by the same company, but I'd want to verify that before buying one.

My mom has a featherweight like the one pictured. She's 86 and I believe her father gave it to her as a wedding gift in the 40's. She still uses it all the time as she is an avid quilter.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Viking sewing machines are a very high quality and now they have a basic machine for about $500.00. They are top of the line and would last you a long time. They also buy back one of their machines to upgrade to a different model if you want more down the road...

Thread Information