Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: October Wall Chart (with real numbers)

Junior Member iamdavidspersonaleconomy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leslieann View Post
    I am just impressed. I am impressed with the simple elegance and with the tracking. And the tithing! Your spending is focused on the things that are important to you...that impresses me too.

I have trouble keeping track of how much I spend on groceries, so I am just overall impressed. I like the fulfillment part too. I think about that nearly every time I open my wallet but systematically assessing and tracking are very good ideas.
    Thank you. From reading YMYL, I understood this is about spending my life energy (time) for what is important to me. This is different from other simple life, and personal finance concepts which tend to focus on absolute cost savings, "how low can you go." I get compulsive (ha, see recovery category) sometimes and try to spend as little as possible, but it doesn't make my life any better. The goal for me is to spend nothing on things that do not add to my life, which are not important. I think over time as I gain awareness from tracking, my spending will decrease.

These are really nice. I have not been budgeting and this is inspiring!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Junior Member iamdavidspersonaleconomy's Avatar
    *BUMP*

Is anyone interested in publishing numbers?

I can not for a couple days--too busy. But I will put some up Thursday.
    author of A Holy Errand

I will *gulp* though December will not be representative of our normal spending.

Also need a bit of time to get the together like Fawn. I might have November, too.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

I do sort of a "Fawn's lazy version" of the YMOYL tracking charts. I do track every cent I spend and do evaluate on a monthly basis if my spending is in line with my values and goals, but I do not do the pluses and minuses columns. The following numbers are for 2012, averaged to monthly numbers from what I spent for the whole year. So, while this post will indicate a monthly property tax bill of $197.92, I pay it all at once in June. Same with school fees, they vary wildly throughout the year, being highest in the begining of each semester and lowest in summer, I have averaged them.

Mortgage (principal and interest) $602.30
    Property taxes $197.92
    Home insurance $ 74.27
    Utilities (includes cell phones for four) $357.43
    Gas for car $153.69
    Maintenence for car $255.09
    MD/DDS/Rx for me $ 28.50
    MD/DDS/RX for kids $ 63.40
    Groceries $330.00
    School lunches $ 23.93
    Eating out $117.40
    Alcohol $115.43 (this is one where I think I spend too much. Have plans to reduce it.)
    Fawn clothes $ 84.98 (this is one where my minimalism helps me. I can buy any item I want, but keep only 7 outfits)
    Fawn hair & makeup $ 18.75 (I cut all my blonde, high-maintenence hair off last Jan. and have not spent a cent on my hair since)
    Fawn fitness $ 33.99
    School fees $182.06
    Paying kids for chores $116.33
    Music lessons and instrument repair $262.97
    Kid's misc $ 70.77
    Cats $ 18.36
    Vacation $102.79 (this is $284.96 for a spring trip to visit colleges and $948.50 for a summer trip to my DS#1)
    Misc (tax prep) $ 8.75
    Misc (kitchen remodel) $153.15 (paid for in March)
    Misc (publishing book) $125.28 (paid for July-Dec, and when I sell 6 more books, I break even!)
    Christmas $ 48.89 ($586.55 spent in Nov. & Dec)
    Household (shampoo, TP, printer ink, etc) $ 64.58
    Entertainment (books, movies) $ 28.56 (mostly this is for books I can't get through ILL, but I took the kids to a couple movies)
    Gifts $107.76
    Computer repair $ 19.25

Overall, I am pleased with how the money is spent. I do keep an eye on how my expenses will be changing with the teens going off to college. Once I have college paid for, and my house paid for (8 years to go) I can retire if I want.
    author of A Holy Errand

I still am always amazed by your numbers Fawn - especially with kids - and teenagers at that (expensive little dickens!). I'm spending about the same as I did before since sis and I are splitting costs for household expenses. My share of the utilities (gas, electric, water, trash, sewer, landline, gardner) are about $50 - $100/month and my share of prop. taxes and insurances (3 policies - fire, earthquake, umbrella) is about $175/month. Then my seperate expenses - food, pet food, cell phone, car insurance, gas, etc... - basicly everything else -runs between $200 - $500/month depending on any unexpected repairs, maintenance, dentist, clothing, etc.. So I budget $1,000/month for everything (and usually only need $600 - $800/month). My monthly retirement income (pension) is approx. $1800 after taxes so whatever is left over goes into the bank for future expenses, fun stuff and travel.

Your numbers have always impressed me too. I think I can live on what you do once I get rid of kids......we'll see.
    author of A Holy Errand

Thread Information