Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: December Frugals

December Frugals

New month!

Today we went to the University of Minnesota Gopher Women's hockey game. It was fun to see a good live hockey game. Tickets: $1 each (general admission). We kept concession purchases to a Diet Coke which we shared. We got there and back for $7 on the bus instead of spending $10 for event parking. And, rather than eating dinner out, we went home and made a frozen pizza. Around $15 for a fun date for the two of us.

The freezer is full, so it's time to make some room and use up the leftovers and on-sale meat and little oddities in there. That should lower the December grocery bill.

I can almost guarantee that there will be some distinctly non-frugal days this month, but we'll shoot for as many frugal days as we can.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yesterday DD, Dsis and I set up at a flea market and sold a bunch of stuff. Managed to buy only useful things, almost... a fun shaped jar for our coffee - we always have several kinds of coffee to choose from - a jadeite bowl, small metal flower frogs, and the almost - a smallish, handmade silk stuffed toy donkey. He is too adorable. My inner child took over... Last night we went to a free Holiday concert by the USAF Band of Flight, along with a local college choir. They are awesome!

Here are some ongoing responses to posts from the November frugals:

Try2bfrugal, eating more food raw also helps. However some nutrients can be gotten more easily from cooked food such as lycopenes. You also might enjoy a good quality solar oven.

Anyone for Fidgiegirl: Does anyone have suggestions for homegrown herbal throat/cold remedies?

Grinders: We have been given some spice jar gifts with built in grinders. Is there a way to get the grinders off and reuse the jar and the grinder?

Older freezers and refrigerators: Some of these use a lot of energy. It’s worth costing this out to see if there are savings overall.

Stella: “I can get the grocery bill between $300-$350 a month for our family of 8 even with a fair amount of organic food.”
    Wow, that’s 1.25 to 1.46 per person per day for food. You could run circles around the 1.50 a day for food challenge.

The best throat remedy I've tried is an organic honey hard candy. I purchased it but it could certainly be made from scratch. Not something I'd like to do when sick, though. I keep a bag of the candy in the bathroom closet. Never use it except for a sore throat because candy is so bad for teeth. (I consider most "cough drops" to be bad-tasting candy. Why not use something that actually tastes good?)

Frugals:
    Changing violin teachers, not for cost but for other reasons, and will save about $200/year as the new teacher has a lower rate and there are no registration fees.
    Will begin making some of the homemade goody - type holiday gifts this week - frugal entertainment and gifts at the same time.

Coincidentally, this link appeared in my Reader this morning for making homemade throat lozenges:
    http://www.diynatural.com/home-remed...r-sore-throat/

Just been cooking at home. We're all sick, so lots of soup with homemade bread. I am making a cream-based cabbage soup tonight. Spent the weekend catching up on laundry. Used homemade laundry soap and hung some things to dry. Pretty boring! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
    Older freezers and refrigerators: Some of these use a lot of energy. It’s worth costing this out to see if there are savings overall.
    It was pretty easy for me to find a recent model refrigerator on Craigslist. Make sure to ask for the serial number so you can look it up on the Energy Star database.

bunnys
    Bought 2 new rugs for my kitchen floor today. The others were so old and ratty (10.5 years) that I was tripping over them.

$9.99 each @ Garden Ridge. Some kind of Indian weave. 100% cotton--which I wanted so I could toss in the washer. They're very pretty and bright and they were cheap so I'm happy. Didn't even look @ the rest of the store.

Went to the library for our Fiber Arts group yesterday. I ran all of my errands beforehand to save gas. Have been limiting my driving to one day per week. Made a batch of lemon bars from scratch and brought them to share. Used homegrown lemons and baking supplies bought in bulk. Sent some home with a young girl who is struggling, financially. Mailed a few homemade Christmas presents today. They were either knitted or crocheted. I bought the yarn with a coupon at Beverly's. Rode my bike to the post office. Bought some cube steak at Sprouts. It's delicious and inexpensive. Am still eating pineapple guavas and persimmons from my orchard. I haven't had to buy fruit in months! Priced organic produce at the Farmers Market yesterday, and it's $3.00 a pound! Am thinking of becoming a vendor...

Wow, all! Awakenedsoul, I am especially impressed at the driving restraint! So cool. I notice a lot more people biking in St. Paul, even still that it's winter. We've had a pretty warm November/December, but it's dark by 5:00. They are braver than I!
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Thread Information