Thread: cars and young adults/kids

cars and young adults/kids

I am a pretty smart person, but car insurance in pretty confusing to me today. Just up front I know someone will likely say that the answer is to take the kids off my insurance but I am willing to keep us as a group for at least a year so they can get used to car expenses and attend school, etc. I already got a payment from my oldest for her insurance and my middle kiddo was just added today,

I am just confused and trying to figure out what to charge them. I had my policy which states on my car the premium is $600 a 6 month period. However I paid a lot more than that, I am assuming because I had all 3 of us as drivers on that vehicle. Monthly I was around $180 (there is also a small uninsured motorist premium as well). Then E got her car and the added premium is $623 but the monthly only increased about $55/60 so that is what I charged her. Today I called for her sister's car and the 6 month premium is $526 but the premium goes up about $55 (February will be higher since the payment comes out this week for January already). But basically the increase seems to be in the same $55/60 range.

So now what to charge the kids? I could charge them about $60 a month which is the increase in premiums because I was willing to pay insurance that included them before they got vehicles (and their dad supported this with keeping some child support for them above the required age). I like this because then they can pay an affordable amount to me and still work and go to school while paying for car repairs and all. I save money and a HUGE amount of stress by not picking them up from work when the busses stop running or getting them to DR appointments, they even help with their brother. Or I could strictly say their amount is closer to $100 a month because that is what the 6 month premium says, and what they will eventually pay when they get their own policies sometime in the next year.

The numbers you provided don't add up in any way that is logical to me.

You were originally paying $1200/year for just yourself.
    When you added 2 additional people to this same car, the price went up to $2160/year. (180*12)
    When you added a second car to the policy, the price increased to $3406/year (but premiums only went up $55/month, $660/year which doesn't make sense)
    When you added a third car to the policy, the price increased to $4458.

I would expect monthly premiums to now be $371.50, but you've reported that premiums are now $290-300. ($180 + 55/60 + 55/60). Something doesn't add up. Did you get a price break on the first car, now that the other two have their own cars and are not listed on yours?

I think they should be paying the difference between what you'd pay on your own, and what you are paying as a family. You would be paying $100/month on your own, so they should be paying the difference between the total premium per month and the $100 you would otherwise be paying.

Thank you, it does not add up to me either however I have not gone through all my previous statements so I am going off the monthly deal. I wonder if there are multi-car discounts or other things I have not accounted for. In any case it does not make sense to me, and I am going to catch up with my regular insurance agent later this week.

Thread Information