Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Donating Blood & almost fainting

Thanks for your replies & suggestions. I think I will give it another try & see how it goes.

The form they had me fill out prior to donating had a lot of questions regarding visiting & living in Africa & Mexico so
    I guess they are on the watch list for "cannot donate" as well as the UK. The couple beside me mentioned they were going
    to Mexico for a 2 week holiday & were told they could not give blood for a year after returning.

I was advised years ago not to give blood because it would take a couple of weeks for me to not be constantly tired. Until recently I've had fairly low blood pressure (110/70) and always a quite low heart rate (50s). I would give blood if it became necessary since I'm A+ and that's not so available. Also I store some up if I knew I was going to have surgery. But I generally shy away from the whole process.

I'm thinking you should try again. You might have just had an off day. But if it happens again, I'd report the experience to your doctor and wait for qualified advice.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Saddest thing is that since he spent so much time in England on business (even though he did not eat meat), he cannot donate even with a rare blood type.
    I did not know this. I lived in England for most of my life, though I've been on this side of the pond for the past 15 years. I never gave blood because I always fell under the minimum weight (not so much now, alas), but had been thinking of doing so at the next readily accessible blood drive. But I had no idea that living in England put you on the "do not donate" list. Is that because of the mad cow scare from the early 1990's?

Quote Originally Posted by SoSimple View Post
    I did not know this. I lived in England for most of my life, though I've been on this side of the pond for the past 15 years. I never gave blood because I always fell under the minimum weight (not so much now, alas), but had been thinking of doing so at the next readily accessible blood drive. But I had no idea that living in England put you on the "do not donate" list. Is that because of the mad cow scare from the early 1990's?
    Yes -- here is a useful summary of the current rules at Red Cross and other U.S. blood donation centers:

http://www.bloodbook.com/donr-requir.html

Of course they conveniently fail to mention that many of the factors that led to the spread of mad cow in the UK were also present in the US food supply during the same period of time. I guess since rates of mad cow and related disorders never went as high in the US as the UK, they think it is safe. But many countries ban US beef. And probably should ban most factory-farmed meat, since most animal feed has at least parts of other ground up animals in it.

lhamo

lhamo
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Most of the time this is just due to anxiety. Try to look away when they stick you and don't look at your own blood. Think happy thoughts.

I gave blood once when I was just beginning to get sick. I wasn't sick yet and afterwards got full blown flu, but i didn;t know it at the time. I gave blood, sat up and all the signs on the walls flipped upside down I was that woozy.

I learned never to give blood unless feeling tip top. One of the reasons i went through with it, I think, was that there was a blood drive where I worked and i didn;t want to let down the team. Stupid I know.

Yea I felt faint pretty much *every* *single* *time* I gave blood, probably why I stopped giving blood :\. My blood pressure tends to be low (well under 120/80), for me 110/60 tends to be an average reading (if it goes up to 120/80 I start getting panicked I'm developing high blood pressure, oh no, oh no ....). I was often under the weight limit (110 pounds) when I donated then, I'm not now.

Thread Information