Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone in Phoenix?

my husband is a pedicab driver, so chances are you have seen him. he goes by the name Opa. I'm out and about evenings and weekends. we are usually on bikes or walking. but took the light rail home sunday after a ride all the way to glendale. 9 miles one way, so on the way home we hopped on the light rail with our bikes.

we should meet up sometime.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    my husband is a pedicab driver, so chances are you have seen him. he goes by the name Opa. I'm out and about evenings and weekends. we are usually on bikes or walking. but took the light rail home sunday after a ride all the way to glendale. 9 miles one way, so on the way home we hopped on the light rail with our bikes.

we should meet up sometime.
    Does your husband work downtown by any chance, around say the Hyatt or the Wyndham or the Sheraton? He has quite likely pedaled right past me if so, what a small world!!!! I'd love to meet up sometime, maybe somewhere downtown? I will be here in Phoenix most likely until the first week of May. Rob

he is there a lot in the evenings, especially when there's an event downtown. mornings he tends to work in the Matt's Big Breakfast and Phoenix Public Market area.

I'll private message you ...

I've lived here in Phx for 30 years, so I'll echo what others have said above. I've also lived in other parts of the country and what I've ultimately come to realize is that each place is what you make of it. Especially now with google, and with meet-up.com, it's super easy to find stuff you like to do and people you like to do it with, not to mention restaurants, bookstores, apartments with specific amenities, you name it. And with Phx being the 5th largest city, we've got pretty much anything you'd like.

That said, I live in Ahwatukee which is an area about 15-20 minutes south of the airport, so it's close to where your potential job is. I'm in the older section which is has bus lines to downtown, and the nearby I-10, but is suburban in every other way. Also excellent schools if that's a consideration. Worth checking out.

and Tammy and Rob: don't forget me if you're having a Phx get-together :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    I've lived here in Phx for 30 years, so I'll echo what others have said above. I've also lived in other parts of the country and what I've ultimately come to realize is that each place is what you make of it. Especially now with google, and with meet-up.com, it's super easy to find stuff you like to do and people you like to do it with, not to mention restaurants, bookstores, apartments with specific amenities, you name it. And with Phx being the 5th largest city, we've got pretty much anything you'd like.

That said, I live in Ahwatukee which is an area about 15-20 minutes south of the airport, so it's close to where your potential job is. I'm in the older section which is has bus lines to downtown, and the nearby I-10, but is suburban in every other way. Also excellent schools if that's a consideration. Worth checking out.

and Tammy and Rob: don't forget me if you're having a Phx get-together :-)
    Hi Lainey, good to see you here! Just wanted to ask, whatever happened to that Simplicity Group at Changing Hands Bookstore in Tempe? Now with the light rail it would be SO much easier to get to!!!!! Rob

Our little Simplicity group has not been meeting for months now - alas, with everyone as spread out as we were (another issue about Phx that people forget how geographically big this city is) - we couldn't find a free decent central meeting place.
    Also I think you need a core group size of 12-15 people to make it workable and we didn't have quite that many. I don't want people to feel like obligated to a monthly meeting; maybe it's better to just post some fun, simple events somewhere and let whoever wants to show up do so.

for example, this monday is a work holiday so I'm going to Turf Paradise horse racing with a friend. It's $1 day, so it's $1 admission, $1 hot dogs, $1 popcorn, $1 program, etc. Weather should be great and it's cheap entertainment - isn't that the definition of simple living?

a Phx meetup would be fun

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    a Phx meetup would be fun
    How would you'all like to meet up somewhere downtown say next Saturday, a week after tommorow,I think the date is the 26th? Maybe somewhere for coffee or at the Public Market? PM me if you like and let me know.....Rob

whole weekend of the 26th Jim (husband) is out of town, and I am entertaining out of town friends.

I like the idea of posting what we are doing, and whoever can show up can meet there. like the horse racing thing posted above ... but alas, I am working that holiday. what a deal ...

We can use this thread to post our various future plans, and we'll see what happens ...I like the sound of that, as opposed to regular organized meet ups, etc .....

I have an idea for a meetup that would be frugal and I think cultural and fun - Wednesday nights the Phoenix Art Museum has free admission from 3PM to 9PM - I have been going most weeks to look at some of the very old Asian artifacts they have - does this sound like it might work for anyone? It is a weeknight though and most people don't have the flexibility I have being in between jobs.....Rob

Thread Information