Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pick one thing to save money on in 2013

Pick one thing to save money on in 2013

This thread might be better in the Frugal sub-forum, but I'm putting it here because we are listing our goals and successes here.

The one place I could save is groceries. I am going to try to track items, instead of groceries as a whole. I spend a lot ... on what? I'm really not sure.

Mobile-phone bill. Up until a few months ago, we were doing okay with it. But we really need to figure out how to turn DD loose from the family plan. She makes enough money to be on her own contract (or join up with STBF) and then we don't have to care what kinds of phones she buys or how often she has to buy them or how long she ties herself into a contract with the carrier. It's a $200 monthly charge, and I know DW and I can get by for less than half of that.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Housing expenses. I'm going to list my house for sale next year. It's a large, horse property that takes a lot of time and money to own. I'm planning to move into a modest condo, cutting my housing expenses by two-thirds.

Tuition! Just send our last contribution to our last child to finish their last semester! Woo hoo!

We will will try to save money on many things in 2013. I already have a prioritized list but try to focus on just one project at a time, otherwise it gets a bit overwhelming. Currently we are working on reducing our electricity usage. We have our bill down by more than 50% over past years, and we still have a lot of sub-tasks to complete to bring it even lower. This has been a way cool project for us. We never thought it was possible to get it this low with just doing little stuff like turning off lights, unplugging the spare fridge and switching over to LEDs.

I am really surprised LEDs are not more popular. The energy savings over time are pretty high ROI.

Mobile phone bill, household expenses & gifts... I gave away way too much money on cash and other gifts to family this year, not even counting Christmas, that's changing next year!

Travel Expenses! Too many overseas trips this year really cut into our savings plan

I feel like I've cut back about as far as I can go, but I could go back to the minimal phone plan with Jitterbug. It's only $20.00 a month. Last month my bill was $47.00 and that will add up if I use that plan every month. I don't think people realize what they spend on their phones!
    I decided to put some more money into my stockpile, since I like having plenty of food for the winter. It gives me a sense of security, and I don't have to shop as often.

Well, I am in the process of doing a refi on my house. Current interest rate is 6.125/30 yr fixed: I'm going for a 3.25/15 year fixed. Hoping to pay it down within 7-10. I'm folding in my HEL and coming out with $360 a month greater cash flow
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Refinancing the house here too so that will save a bit. Would also like to eat out half as much as we do now - twice a week. Oh and a little less red wine. With DH in the business though, that's a hard one.

Thread Information