Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tossing crap

Purging of crap......we have spent all week doing this.....what a lovely freeing feeling. DH and I are finishing the basement and doing everything ourselves. We have been getting rid of some things I so regret ever bringing into the house in the first place. Mostly crap we bought when the kids were little, too many toys, plastic doll junk, lots of cheap wooden shelves and bins to store the crap, overabundance is clearly a problem for us. Than we have the stuff we are gifted, candy dishes, knicky knacks, old furniture, my aunt gave me a whole box of old cookbooks. Now I do so enjoy cookbooks, but I pulled out the good ones to save and need to give myself permission to get rid of the rest.

Work in progress......getting there though.

I will say though I will never give up my dishes.......

Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    ...Work in progress......getting there though.

I will say though I will never give up my dishes.......
    yes, you will, my friend, but only when you are ready.

--iris lily, recovering chinaware addict (I've purged 5 sets and am down to 3)
    Last edited by iris lily; 2-23-11 at 9:50am.

I don't have finger bowls now and have never had them. I do have a set of six little fancy silver spoons that look to be about 100+ years old, which I use when serving Turkish coffee. We got rid of my thrift-store second-hand Noritake china in the last move and got boring white stuff from Target, which DH adores but I find quite monotonous. But since he moved into my place originally and was stuck with using all of my old stuff, this move we agreed it would be his turn to choose stuff. We are moving overseas in about a year, and I will try to convince him to not pay to have this stuff shipped!

Six more years of organizing!

But the real question is: has anyone acquired, or jettisoned, finger bowls in these past 6 years?

I have not acquired finger bowls. My son is a foodie so we have acquired many kitchen items. We do use them all, except the vitamix that his dad gave to him. I wish we could get rid of that.

Reading over the posts 6 years ago I got inspired to look through my kitchen. Not bad, too many BBQ sauces. I do bake however and have everything for that.

I don't have any crap--well maybe that old wool blanket with the shredded binding--but I have more than enough. I always have a donation pile going, though, so there is a churn in progress. Plus bags for the food bins.

(I can't imagine wanting to get rid of a Vitamix--you won't have any trouble finding a home for it!)

I have not acquired finger bowls. I have acquired much awesome china, including two kinds of Midwinter from the70-s, some shenango plates too nice to pass up, and now just yesterday, I found a pattern that I had when I was first married--I had only a few pieces of it, and somehow, I let it go at a garage sale. I have decided it will be my "good" china when we move and have family over for Christmas dinner. I loved this pattern and it was eerie to see it again and I thought oh hell, why not. Here it is:

So I am definitely going in the opposite direction here, IL. I am so impressed you could get rid of 5 different sets of china. I seem to have acquired that many in the past six years.

Unfortunately, I really, really love china.

Oh I still love China and dinnerware, sadly. In the years since I carefully pitched lots of stuff, I have built up a basement full of flower show stuff that includes some China pieces. But in my mind the difference between my basement stuff and the stuff from the 2011- purge is this: I can get rid of basement stuff in one week. It can all go to local garden club ladies, I Would just fling open he basement door and say "go get it." What is left can be thrown away and some of that even composted.

My purges from 6+ years ago took more time for which to responsibly find a home.

Tybee, Your little tea cup is a charming pattern. It looks Irish, or eastern Euopean to me.

It's an old Johnson Brothers pattern from 65-74. I thought that was surprising, too.

Thread Information