Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tossing crap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tossing crap

In our kitchen repainting job I had to move each and every d*mn thing out of each cabinet. Well, I tossed a lot of things then, but now, today, putting them back , I am letting go of more crap:

1) Red Chinese pattern dishes that we hauled home from China. We are idiots. This is the kind of thing that I could buy at Chinese restaruant supply houses or in China towns, and now, of course, on the internet. That was 23 years ago. I have used them 2 times. Time to go!!!

2) I had this brilliant idea for my "good" dishes: get rid of the coffee cups and saucers since they are awkward to store. Trade them in for more appetizer plates and a couple of dinner plates. We use the appetizer plates failry often, they are so handy.Brilliant I tell you!!!! We will get simple white china mugs to use for both every day use AND for the rare occasions where I use the good china and wish to serve coffee in fairly nice containers. We have a china replacement palce here that does business all over the country and so I trade in stuff with them. Love them.

Let me just say that I've been getting a handle on my china addiction in the past few years and have been able to let go of several things to par down to 3 main sets.

3) Today I gave up the fantasy that I will ever be a baker and I offered a few cake pans to our neighborhood.

4) Let's be realistic: wine has an important role in my life. So today I assigned wine accoutrements to a separate drawer right under the wine rack. It's no longer a messy area. Wine has its own assigned space and that is right and good with the world. I have 2 serious modern wine openers, 1 antique one from England, and 3 cheapo ones that I can take anywhere and lose, no problem. I am more than a little reminded of the paraphenalia that heroin addicts have for their habit. There is a ritual with getting high, setting out the equipment.

Let me also add that I love this neighborhood because only here people share my addiciton for things like antique dinnerware.

A few weeks ago we went to dinner at a neighbor's house and I peered into his china cabinet full of antique Czec glass and recognized finger bowls. Now, how many of y our would recongize finer bowls!!!? Be honest here. And it is the man of the house who is into this stuff.

How many of you HAVE finger bowls???? I do not. But you will be my fast friend if you have some.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris lily View Post

How many of you HAVE finger bowls???? I do not. But you will be my fast friend if you have some.
    I will confess to it. Also to fish forks, fish knives, aspic servers, and all sorts of impedimentia.

That said, it's not my fault! My father-in-law keeps getting us all this wacky stuff, to match the china and silver we will inherit from him. He's been at this 30 years now. The good news is we convinced him ages ago to keep it all at his stately home, so it will get some use in the meantime, and be appreciated.

We still use the boring stainless steel stuff we got when we got out of college, and some deeply discounted plates from a Macy's basement sale about the same time. And a million coffee mugs from places we've worked, and convention swag.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I will confess to it. Also to fish forks, fish knives, aspic servers, and all sorts of impedimentia.

That said, it's not my fault! My father-in-law keeps getting us all this wacky stuff, to match the china and silver we will inherit from him. He's been at this 30 years now. The good news is we convinced him ages ago to keep it all at his stately home, so it will get some use in the meantime, and be appreciated.

We still use the boring stainless steel stuff we got when we got out of college, and some deeply discounted plates from a Macy's basement sale about the same time. And a million coffee mugs from places we've worked, and convention swag.
    good for you! So now I feel that I must acquire finger bowls and here is one I am lusting after:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-French-C...item2308dd7ca5[B]

But I think it is cool to offer small heated washclothes after the main course. They can be easily heated up in the microwave and passed around with silver tongs. Loose that would be easy for RVers to do, no extra crap to store.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris lily View Post
    good for you! So now I feel that I must acquire finger bowls and here is one I am lusting after:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-French-C...item2308dd7ca5[B]

But I think it is cool to offer small heated washclothes after the main course. They can be easily heated up in the microwave and passed around with silver tongs. Loose that would be easy for RVers to do, no extra crap to store.
    Well except for the silver tongs. That would be extra crap in MY RV.
    author of A Holy Errand

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    impedimentia
    The best new word I've heard in a while!!!
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

No finger bowls - but plenty of vintage Fiesta, Harlequin, Bauer, Franciscan & Metlox. And the occasional Russell Wright, Oneida, etc. I love American pottery.

no finger bowls here......and I doubt that many living in motorhomes could be found with them, but probably there are a few.....but I do recognize them when I see them, and have eaten in homes where they were used, regularly, in a previous life. Always made quite good sense to me, and there have been times (especially in dark restaurants) where I've been known to sneak a corner of my cloth napkin into my water glass for the same purpose, more plebian, but just as useful.

Trying to upload photos... no success! Any hints?
    Last edited by redfox; 2-14-11 at 12:30am.

So much for 'the simple life', lol.

Thread Information