Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tossing crap

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Egg coddlers! I've always wanted to try coddled eggs; I imagine they're something like poached?
    Jane
    Mine are Royal Worcester china. Here's a link. royal worcester egg coddler

Yes, they are sort of poached!
    Last edited by IshbelRobertson; 4-2-17 at 10:22am.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lily View Post
    I love the sound of these. I love silver.

Sadly, I am bourgeoiese and I have to buy my antique silver.
    I buy lots of silver.... Snuff boxes, vinaigrettes and other small stuff! I'm lucky to have inherited lots, too!

It's funny but when we moved last fall, we got rid of 3/4 of our belongings and there were actually a few finger bowls among the stuff. I used to buy/sell antiques and collectibles long before ebay so there were all kinds of oddities to dispose of. Luckily, my neighbor ran estate sales as his livelihood, took it all and sent me a nice check afterwards. I am now trying to be careful not to re-acquire stuff but it takes great strenth to resist when I go to the thrift store. In some other life, I would have a kitchen store full of unusual and beautiful kitchenware. That being said, I could not let go of my anthropomorphic salt and pepper shakers - 75 pair. And then, yesterday I was at the phone store and right by the dumpster someone had set a 1950s cookie jar in perfect shape. Of course, I took it home...

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Plebs. You are just plebs.

There ARE actual nut bowls so try to get it right. I don't know about sour cream, but there is a proper mayonnaise server. With ice cream, you use forks.
    I assume the nutbowl is the one that is divided into three sections? We've never used it. That would be perfect for taco night!

Nut bowls are about 3 inches in diameter and they are individual. You can't buy nut bowls as part of modern china sets, but you can buy small bowls that mimic them at Pier 1 or World Market or Williams Sonoma or etc. they are sauce bowls.

When someone says "nut bowls" I think of these:

image.jpg

So, maybe my finger bowls are actually nutbowls. They look awfully similar. If not for nuts, what is the 3 section piece for? (I've included a fullsize dinner plate for size reference.)

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    So, maybe my finger bowls are actually nutbowls. They look awfully similar. If not for nuts, what is the 3 section piece for? (I've included a fullsize dinner plate for size reference.)

I have no idea, those items are two or three generations after my sphere of knowledge.

What at did they eat in the 60's that required a divided bowl? How many of the small bowls ere there, one for each person, or one per set?

The drinks ware from the 60's is elaborate and very interesting g, all of those cocktail shakers and portable bars and etc.

Cool dinnerware.

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    Jane
    Mine are Royal Worcester china. Here's a link. royal worcester egg coddler

Yes, they are sort of poached!
    I like the Royal Worcester peach design, particularly.

Divided dish--olives?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I have no idea, those items are two or three generations after my sphere of knowledge.

What at did they eat in the 60's that required a divided bowl? How many of the small bowls ere there, one for each person, or one per set?

The drinks ware from the 60's is elaborate and very interesting g, all of those cocktail shakers and portable bars and etc.

Cool dinnerware.
    Thanks. I have no idea how many of the small bowls would've come with a set. Mom bought the plates, regular bowls and bread plates at the Salvation Army shortly after getting married. Everything else was bought piecemeal by SO after the dishes became ours ten years ago.

Thread Information