Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tossing crap

Mrs-M
    I'm loving reading about everyone's stuff! Several years ago I went through the cupboards (spring cleaning) and purged them of all "single/oddball/match nothing" mugs and tumblers and things. Such a freeing and liberating feeling it was to send that box-full of goodies off to the thrift store! Never owned finger bowls in my lifetime.

Iris. That finger bowl is gorgeous!

After having to move across country twice and now living in a smaller space, I finally figured out we have too much crap. Also after running out of room everywhere including the basement and every square inch of every closet, I got it. I am going thru each and every space and trying to get rid of excess. Very very hard. (it was much easier when husband was gone to visit his parents)

So far there is one car full is gone and really no space looks less full. So I am doing the second pass. I have stacks for the charity group, stitching group, thrift shop and several other places.

We use only one set of white dishes. But have a whole wall of totes full of vintage Fiesta. Used the plates for years but they ended up to heavy for everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris lily View Post
    good for you! So now I feel that I must acquire finger bowls and here is one I am lusting after:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-French-C...item2308dd7ca5[B]

But I think it is cool to offer small heated washclothes after the main course. They can be easily heated up in the microwave and passed around with silver tongs. Loose that would be easy for RVers to do, no extra crap to store.
    Well except for the silver tongs. That would be extra crap in MY RV.
    author of A Holy Errand

I'm curious about the Wine Opener You Love that now has its own drawer.
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

yeah, fawn.....first you have to find a place for the extra washcloths, THEN you have to find a place for the tongs....hahahaha.....

no kidding, though, Iris Lily.....that would be a nice idea. I vaguely remember eating in a restaurant years ago, (maybe a BBQ place?) where they brought around warm, wet washcloths at the end of the meal.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    impedimentia
    The best new word I've heard in a while!!!
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Quote Originally Posted by Anne Lee View Post
    I'm curious about the Wine Opener You Love that now has its own drawer.

It's the most excellent one I have ever had. It's the latest model of The Rabbit:

http://www.beveragefactory.com/wine/...orkscrew.shtml

I find I have to S L O W L Y and discreetly make stuff disappear. My mother gave us 24 glass dessert dishes. We have "Christmas" mugs and glasses, except we forget to get them out each year...I counted 5+ spatulas, 5 sets of measuring spoons, a whole stack of pie/cake pans, a pizza stone we have used once in 30 years, etc.

AND a whole shelf of mugs, all that have a special meaning. I tried one day to ditch a couple -- just so they would all fit. It was a MAJOR event. We had to discuss each one, who gave it to who, would they be upset if we tossed it? etc. etc. I think we finally got rid of two.
    Last edited by Greg44; 2-16-11 at 12:06am.

My sweetie has lots of "packrat" tendencies.......I am the Queen of making things S L O W L Y and discreetly disappear, almost all of which he never misses or asks about. The few he does, I say "where did you leave it?", and of course, he doesn't know........

Actually, he knows that I do this, and it relieves him, because when HE has to make the decision, he goes into "tilt" mode, but if it's done by me, he's not to blame in case we "hit hard times and really need that item"..... hahahahaha

I make things slowly disappear, too. I can't imagine living with DH in an RV, he'd drive me batty quickly with his focus on keeping everything. In nice orderly piles.

And then, there are the quick purges. When he goes out of town I've purged the mugs shelf, the plastic food continer shelf, the glass bottle shelf, etc. He will not accept that we have only this much space from here [ .....] to there [......] and there can be no overflow. His closet is the same way with clothing not worn in 20 years. While I can slowly rid the closet of shirts and the like, his suits that have not been worn for 23+ years would be notcied if gone, so there they sit.
    Last edited by iris lily; 2-20-11 at 2:03pm.

Thread Information