Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone having post-Christmas letdown?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone having post-Christmas letdown?

That's all I'm asking, no prompts. If you are feeling the letdown, can you articulate why?

Just curious. Thanks.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Mrs-M
    Not at all, KayLRZ. I'm relieved it's all over. Whew...

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs-M View Post
    Not at all, KayLRZ. I'm relieved it's all over. Whew...

EXACTLY. Christmas to me, is the most stress filled time of the year, to the point I get angry and depressed.

Mrs-M
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    EXACTLY. Christmas to me, is the most stress filled time of the year, to the point I get angry and depressed.
    Me, too. This year was particularly stressful, because we hosted Christmas Day dinner at our house, and that always changes the dynamics of Christmas, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I'm not a big Christmas fan. You'll appreciate (given your screen name) that our grinch tradition is now pat: We come home with the piles of Stuff that we don't want and DH immediately starts sorting: Goodwill & keep. Some years ago he would put everything into a neat pile for me to--act on. While it once made me tired and depressed, I gradually learned that he doesn't care about the Stuff and did not notice when it disappeared. In fact this year we got a gift that duplicated one we got last year. He told the gifter "hey that's great we like those, we got one last year and it works just fine!" when in reality, I tossed the first one early on. He has no idea if it worked or not, haha.

Our tradition is to sort the stuff immediately, not keep things hanging around while we figure out what to do with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris lily View Post
    I'm not a big Christmas fan. You'll appreciate (given your screen name) that our grinch tradition is now pat: We come home with the piles of Stuff that we don't want and DH immediately starts sorting: Goodwill & keep. Some years ago he would put everything into a neat pile for me to--act on. While it once made me tired and depressed, I gradually learned that he doesn't care about the Stuff and did not notice when it disappeared. In fact this year we got a gift that duplicated one we got last year. He told the gifter "hey that's great we like those, we got one last year and it works just fine!" when in reality, I tossed the first one early on. He has no idea if it worked or not, haha.

Our tradition is to sort the stuff immediately, not keep things hanging around while we figure out what to do with them.
    It is sad, that we even need to sort the stuff. It is too bad they don't listen, when I say "don't buy ANYTHING" for me. This year, there were two gifts, that I have been watching for, at my price-point, that I also was planning on using as rewards for decluttering. Rewarding myself is a good thing. Having something handed to you, doesn't mean you will always appreciate it, and not having to work for it, may make me want to play with it, and slack on the decluttering (Nook with Glowlight). I guess now, I will have to use extra memory (sd card) for the reward.
    The other item, may go back, or may sit in the box for the better part of a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris lily View Post
    We come home with the piles of Stuff that we don't want and DH immediately starts sorting: Goodwill & keep.
    I do the same thing. I thought we'd dodged that bullet this year as we missed that annual extended family get together and for 20+ years I've pleaded 'no gifts' but a few days later we got our huge bags of garage sale, laying around the house, too small, too big, etc. stuff. I don't mind being the recipient of a re-gift but at least I would like to be useful or to fit. I try to be graceful, say thank you, then sort....it just gets so old after so many years.

Quote Originally Posted by goldensmom View Post
    I do the same thing. I thought we'd dodged that bullet this year as we missed that annual extended family get together and for 20+ years I've pleaded 'no gifts' but a few days later we got our huge bags of garage sale, laying around the house, too small, too big, etc. stuff. I don't mind being the recipient of a re-gift but at least I would like to be useful or to fit. I try to be graceful, say thank you, then sort....it just gets so old after so many years.
    One would think that being out of the family loop would keep us from getting bags of Stuff, but nope--one of our friends loves shopping and buying cheap crap from China and hence we get probably $150 in Stuff from her.

This year I had on my "list" (it was only a mental list, I never told anyone) two items: Wine stoppers and a back scratcher. I got lucky and got 3 wine stoppers from friends. I did not get a back scratcher but I watched one friend open a gift of a back scratcher from another person and I commented about how that was a cool back scratcher and I wanted one. They are normally about $1.00 although this one was an extendable, high end back scratcher, hehe.

Low and behold, DH came up with one from the depths of our junk drawer. So--I really did get the things that I wanted even though I had not formally made a list for Santa.

I am, I have to admit. The Christmas season was very busy at work and with family obligations, and I was feeling a bit worn down, but this year we really simplified Christmas itself. The extended family visited elsewhere, it was a particularly simple year for gift-giving (lots of group gifts), and the youngest children are old enough to handle the disruptions better--we also made some choices in terms of cooking, decorating, etc that were easier. Once my time-off from work started, it was really a blessed holiday, and I got quite sad Boxing Day afternoon when it was time to pack up all my bits and pieces and head home to my own house.

Mrs-M
    AmeliaJane. I'll admit, I go through times of melancholy after Christmas, but overall, being able to wave goodbye to all the fuss and muss for one more year, never fails to put a smile on my face!

Thread Information