Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Merrry Christmas

Merrry Christmas

We are a german family and celebrate today. The family will be going to church in the early evening and than we have dinner. When the kids were little they always wanted spagetti on xmas eve, well , it still hasn't changed. I ask every year and the answer is always the same. So it has become a tradition: Spagetti, Bolognese sauce, Carbonara sauce and the tuna sauce that my husband makes.
    The "Weihnachtsmann" ( Santa Claus) comes some time after dinner when the tree light go on, through magic ( timer). It was so much fun to watch when they were little, they could never figure out how the light got turned on on the tree.
    Usually, it takes a while to unwrap present since everybody likes to watch everybody unpack.
    It will be fun having time together without everybody having to run somewhere for something.

So I wish you all a nice relaxing, peaceful Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas to you and your family, too, xmas! I loved reading your description of your tradition.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Mrs-M
    Merry Christmas to you, too, Xmas!

My family lived in Germany when I was a little girl. My parents adopted the custom of St. Nicholas Day, and we always put our shoes out for St. Nick to leave candy in them. My brothers always borrowed Dad's Army boots for the task.

Another tradition, a little similar to yours, was that we put the Christmas tree up on Christmas Eve. We each put one ornament on it, and then we went to bed. When we woke up in the morning, Santa Claus would have visited and he decorated the tree! And, of course, left lots of presents.

Our traditional Christmas Eve meal was corn chowder, because it used to be a fast day with no meat, and corn chowder is a typical New England dish. Or soup, or whatever it is.

Merry Christmas to you and everyone here!

Happy Holidays! We used to celebrate St. Nicolas day when the kids were little. They usually got a little toy and a video in their stocking. It really helped to get to Christmas without melt downs.

Simpler at Fifty
    Merry Christmas to you xmas and everyone else too. DH and I have dinner at a German restaurant on Christmas Eve. We started that tradition about 6 years ago. They always give us a free shot of their homemeade apple pie schnapps. We bring home a piece of bread pudding to share later in the evening. I look forward to this night more than Christmas day.

Merry Christmas!
    I'm at church a little early, one of my sons is running the power point for the service. I've got the candle lighting serice candles ready and set out the nativity. It always feels like Christmas really starts during this service.
    Sad to not see family this year but blessed by friends we're with.

We'll go home for snacks and one present.
    Tomorrow, cinnamon rolls and gifts and then to some friend's house for lunch and hopefully home before the snow.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I love reading all of the different traditions! We are pretty typical, I think. Lobster rolls for supper tonight, relaxing with family this evening, then presents in the morning and big turkey dinner tomorrow.

Merry Christmas all!!
    Lurker/poster formerly known as squeak

We decluttered and tidied the house yesterday. Today (christmas), we joined friends on the beach for about 3 hrs of brunchiness. I wore my new bikini and sunscreen and sat in the water.

And, our next task is to do the good scrub of the bathroom and the dust/vacuum.

Tomorrow, we get my ILs, bring them to their place, give them a couple of hours to get sorted, and then we'll have brunch with them and some christmas celebrations. Maybe some beach time.

Thread Information