Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone having post-Christmas letdown?

This year, DH and I tried an experiment in avoiding the Christmas expectations. We did a three day getaway, just the two of us, and I have to say it was the easiest Christmas ever without all the usual anxieties. We bought a few gift cards and mailed them out prior but that was it. We drove to the coast, prepared a candlelit dinner in our hotel room on Christmas night, walked on the beach, and watched the full moon rise over the ocean. I completely understand that feeling of let-down though as I lived it for many years. I just wonder when the season all got so complicated.

I am pleased to report that for once I do *not* have a post-Christmas letdown of any sort. I have dreaded the Christmas season for years. It always seemed like there was too much to do, too many places to go, too many people to see, etc. We hosted Thanksgiving this year and I think that helped to kick off the holiday season in the right way for me. We deep cleaned our house in preparation, which was something that desperately needed to be done, and we had a mostly stress free Thanksgiving. It probably helped that we sent everyone away the next morning and just enjoyed a weekend to ourselves. We scaled down the various Christmas obligations to just a few things. We went to a Christmas vespers program, which we both enjoyed. We had a pre-Christmas family brunch with my partner's extended family, which was relatively painless. His family skipped the elaborate and not-so-joy-filled Christmas tree decorating tradition, which also helped me to stay sane as their family drama was greatly reduced. Then for the actual Christmas celebration he and I went separately to celebrate with our families and we both returned home the evening of the 25th ready to consider it another holiday season in the books. We don't really do anything on New Year's Eve so we're done until next Thanksgiving -- woot! Finally. This has been nearly 2 decades in the making so I am thrilled that we seem to finally be "there" -- wherever "there" might be.

Oh pinkytoe........that sounds wonderful! I would love to do that some year.

I'm not feeling let-down in the least. For me its sort of a cleansing...........put away all the "stuff", clean up the house, start eating more healthily, peace and quiet again.
    (Although its not over for me yet........DD still home and DS coming home for DH's birthday tomorrow). But for me, January is all about peace and quiet and enjoying the fact that this
    won't happen again for another year........

(But I have to say.........DD lost a friend a couple years to a terrible tragedy. His parents post on Facebook quite often about how they miss him so. Makes me enjoy the time with my kids even more).

I'm not feeling the letdown this year, but my DH mentioned he is. He attributed his feeling to overeating and lack of exercise (he normally eats very well and exercises a lot every day).

Though I enjoyed the holiday, I'm glad it's winding down. We're still on relaxed mode for a few more days, but I'm starting to feel motivated to return to a full routine. I'm thrilled that my relatives listened to my plea of "no gifts for me." My MIL did send me some socks, though. I might feel a bit melancholy when putting the decorations away, mainly because that's not a fun task for me. Hmm...I need to think of a way to make it fun.

I felt really tired after Christmas. In fact, I went to bed at 7:30 p.m. the last two nights to recharge! I was wiped out. I had a long drive, though. Also, my father spent the entire holiday criticizing me, which was draining. (He even put down the way I stand!) I called him on it, but it still gave me a headache.

But, I was pleased with the gifts I made and kept decorating simple but beautiful. I sent out some cards and heard from friends I worked with 25 years ago. That was uplifting. Now I'm back into my routine at home. It feels good to exercise and stay grounded. I'm looking forward to spending New Year's Eve with a friend I worked with twenty years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by goldensmom View Post
    I do the same thing. I thought we'd dodged that bullet this year as we missed that annual extended family get together and for 20+ years I've pleaded 'no gifts' but a few days later we got our huge bags of garage sale, laying around the house, too small, too big, etc. stuff. I don't mind being the recipient of a re-gift but at least I would like to be useful or to fit. I try to be graceful, say thank you, then sort....it just gets so old after so many years.
    One would think that being out of the family loop would keep us from getting bags of Stuff, but nope--one of our friends loves shopping and buying cheap crap from China and hence we get probably $150 in Stuff from her.

This year I had on my "list" (it was only a mental list, I never told anyone) two items: Wine stoppers and a back scratcher. I got lucky and got 3 wine stoppers from friends. I did not get a back scratcher but I watched one friend open a gift of a back scratcher from another person and I commented about how that was a cool back scratcher and I wanted one. They are normally about $1.00 although this one was an extendable, high end back scratcher, hehe.

Low and behold, DH came up with one from the depths of our junk drawer. So--I really did get the things that I wanted even though I had not formally made a list for Santa.

My 80 some year old Mom called yesterday and told me she is suffering from after Christmas feelings. I felt sorry for her, but she hipes it up so there is no place to go but down.

Well yeah in a different way. This was my time off work and it feels like I didn't get enough done, or what I am getting done will be undone so fast and then I will be back in crazy work mode. I already had one work nightmare. I very much need to exercise, and I have been keeping up with some exercise and meditation over this break, and then feeling stressed because it is so hard once school is back in session to do any of this (plus I cannot fit my pants at all after all the goodies my mom brought, 5 lbs at least)

I get the let down when my son who usually visits during December drives off...but this year, he just got married and they started new jobs and were not able to come for a visit. So, oddly, I haven't felt that sad, let down feeling. I get it whenever I separate from my kids after a visit, though, so it probably isn't really about the holiday at all. As far as I am concerned, I am in the post-Christmas glow period....not back to work and most of the obligations already met.

Plus there is snow....lots of it! I don't mind it when I don't have to go to work or get anywhere. And it helps a lot that DH is home from work too, and likes to shovel.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    This year, DH and I tried an experiment in avoiding the Christmas expectations. We did a three day getaway, just the two of us, and I have to say it was the easiest Christmas ever without all the usual anxieties. We bought a few gift cards and mailed them out prior but that was it. We drove to the coast, prepared a candlelit dinner in our hotel room on Christmas night, walked on the beach, and watched the full moon rise over the ocean. I completely understand that feeling of let-down though as I lived it for many years. I just wonder when the season all got so complicated.
    I'm so glad it worked out nicely!

Thread Information