Thread: A Biblical passage that really hit me over the head this morning....

A Biblical passage that really hit me over the head this morning....

Love IS patient and kind.
    Love is NOT jealous or boastful or proud or rude.
    It does NOT demand its own way.
    It is NOT irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged.
    (1 Corinthians 13:4-5 NLT)
    [emphasis cut & pasting of passage ]

I was just dinking around on the web this morning... honestly looking for some answers or various approaches for some things that have been plaguing me recently and I came across this 'Bible Classic' above and something about the version of the Bible it's written in just hit me over the head like a 2x4. I am not really that familiar with NLT which I googled and stands for New Living Translation of the Bible.

I thought I'd post it here to share.
    I know we are all of a bunch of different walks of faith here on the board (which makes coming here regularly a huge plus for me!)

I guess my question to you is... do you ever come across some 'classics' in your faith practice and it's as if you are seeing them for the first time with a new pair of eyes?

I firmly believe in essential Truth and when I come across it, I just really FEEL it.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnlaurel View Post

I guess my question to you is... do you ever come across some 'classics' in your faith practice and it's as if you are seeing them for the first time with a new pair of eyes?
    All the time, every day. I read 5 Psalms and 1 Proverb every day (through each book once a month). I read the same passages 12 times a year and learn/see something new each time. It’s amazing how something that may not have applied last month is spot on the next month or something that was deep in my memory will come to light exactly when needed.

rodeosweetheart
    Quote Originally Posted by goldensmom View Post
    All the time, every day. I read 5 Psalms and 1 Proverb every day (through each book once a month). I read the same passages 12 times a year and learn/see something new each time. It’s amazing how something that may not have applied last month is spot on the next month or something that was deep in my memory will come to light exactly when needed.
    Before I read Goldensmom's reply was to say, "All the time." An it is true--infact, that is one of the reasons that I feel that God speaks to us through the scriptures, as I wil be faced with a decision or something and the words will come to me from scripture, as an answer.

In fact, your posting of this has really made me question some of the ways I have been handling life lately, and where I have been lacking in love and charity.

Agree 100% with goldensmom and rodeosweetheart. Sometimes it is as if seeing that passage for the first time.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

I read James Allen the author, they have on the Internet a James Allen Free Library.
    Everything he writes really resonates with me. He lived in the later part of the 1800's. I wish he was alive now
    I would love to meet him and Jesus Christ.

Time to replace that old rickety bookcase.
    Unless you like getting hit on the head with your Bible

Quote Originally Posted by Xmac View Post
    Time to replace that old rickety bookcase.
    Unless you like getting hit on the head with your Bible

That made me smile!
    Fortunately (or unfortunately) I am pretty hard-headed. hardhat.gif

Thread Information