Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Borders is Closing

I shop there to look for books I want to buy used -- as their prices are too high for me. I do buy my over priced Moleskine notebooks there!

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    How long until it's: OMG you own a kindle from 5 years ago, how lame!!
    I'm still using a cell phone from 6 years ago. I used to think "I won't get a new one before this one dies. Surely the battery'll die soon and I can justify a new one." Recently, though, my phone has become a conversation starter because it looks positively antique. And it's still in great shape, having only been dropped a couple of times, and not used that intensively. (I hate talking on the phone.) And it still works great. My thoughts have changed to "I hope it lasts another 10 years!"

Borders

We lost our Borders and Barnes and Noble. Have a gift card to B&N too. When dh and I were dating, that was our big date on the weekend. Probably how we got so many darned books.

Then again, these days I always order from Amazon, so it's partly my own fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
    I do buy my over priced Moleskine notebooks there!
    I always preferred B&N, but I remember the *original* Borders in Ann Arbor, I went to a second-tier state university the next town over. This was in the late 80s.

I buy my Moleskins on Amazon.

"Borders will close 200 of its 642 stores in the next few weeks." announced yesterday in filing Docs.

I like the selection at the Borders that I visit more than the B&N. I know it's a chain, but it just feels less like one when I visit.

B&N is giving Amazon a run for its money on ebook readers, though. The Nook is probably going to eventually outpace the Kindle, simply because of its greater flexibility. I would compare the two to Kindle is the Mac of the reader world, while the Nook is more like the PC. The Mac OS was the better system from the git go, but it lacked the flexibility and the friendly pricing of the Microsoft using PC.
    "There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

I actually prefer reading via the Kindle app on my new iPad than on my Kindle...

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    It's possible mom and pop bookstores may come back filling in the hole left by collapsing big box book stores.
    Locally, we have two mom and pop bookstores that specialize in used books with a few new ones thrown in. One of them is absolutely thriving.

2 years ago a lovely, stately funeral home in New Orleans was gutted on the inside and transformed into a high tech Borders....many were against the idea of a chain bookstore in town. Today I read on nola.com that this Borders is closing.

I also have noticed at my local Borders how much smaller the magazine section has become in the past few years and how much of the space has been transformed into selling fancy wrapping paper, journals and accessories...not books and magazines. I'm glad we have a thriving independent bookstore in Austin and a good used bookstore.

http://iliketomakethings.blogspot.com

Thread Information