Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Borders is Closing

Yea I was thinking about this too. How DEEPLY SOLITARY downloading a book on a kindle is compared to going to a bookstore.

I mean maybe you only interact with the clerk at the bookstore to make a purchase, but even that is something. And fair enough, ordering a physical book online and having it delivered to your doorstep is equally solitary. And I understand introversion and all, I'm certainly not saying it's bad that that choice exists (ask me how often I use it, guilty as charged, books on the doorstep rule ).

But looking at the big picture: another step in that direction (isolation, atomization, whatever you want to call it), all steps of course made with little awareness of where we are going, and we wonder why society ends up where it does, not to mention why the people in it end up like they do (um ... all those steps ....).

I don't know. When my UPS or FedEx guy shows up at my door, we usually chat for 5-10 minutes.

Lainey I am really interested in the "third place" concept too. I think, though, that it is changing in some ways rather than disappearing completely. This is kind of OT, so maybe I'll start another thread on it.
    My blog: www.sunnysideuplife.blogspot.com

Guess why I smile? Because it's worth it. -Marcel the Shell with Shoes

Thread Information