Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: January Cook at Home

Leftover chicken salad and the last of the mac n cheese for lunch yesterday. I had planned on making sloppy joes for dinner, but DH's parents invited us over, so we went there. DH requested beans and weenies and cornbread tonight, so that is what we'll be having. The sloppy joes will come next or maybe the lasagna. DH keeps asking for stuff after I already take what I need for something else out of the freezer. Pretty soon I am going to just have to say, "Nope, sorry. Lasagna tonight." ;-)

The beans and weenies went over really well! Both DH and DD loved them, and there was enough left over for lunches today. Tonight is turkey sloppy joes (with lots of veggies hidden inside) and roasted zucchini. Milk to drink, maybe a sliced apple for dessert! :-)

Kind of a fractured week, with DW doing lots of things after work several days. I don't tend to cook much for just myself. But I did make a bean stew with celery, onions, kale, and a smoked pork hock. It's maybe the second time in my life that I've soaked dried beans for later cooking and the first time I've ever used mayacoba (yellow) beans. It's all turned out quite successfully, though. I'm going to enjoy this stew after freezing some of it for another week.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Picked up the CSA box yesterday. It had even-more-gorgeous-than-usual chard, plus adorable tiny yellow potatoes, plump carrots, and prickly artichokes. Dunno what I am going to make tonight, but it will be delicious!

Kara

Over the weekend we went to the coast and before coming home, stopped and bought a pint of fresh oysters, right out of the bay. Last night I made oyster stew and it really hit the spot on a cold winter day! And I felt good that it featured a mostly local (state, at least) product.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I am making a pork tenderloin, baked sweet potatoes, and cabbage for dinner tonight. Yesterday I made a big pot of veggie soup. So between the soup and the pork, we will be eating leftovers and my cooking is done for this week.

Hooray for leftovers. I got a big chicken and roasted it on Monday; we have chicken! Our schedules have gotten a little out of control, at least the supper part, so having good leftovers is important. Otherwise people here will end up eating cheese and crackers every night. So having that chicken, plus cooked carrots and beets in the fridge, has been a good thing.

this is the best thread for getting dinner ideas, by the way.

So, I decided on this: skillet dinner of halved potatoes (from my CSA; they are tiny), chard (CSA), and chicken breast (from the freezer; defrosting now), simmer with some chicken broth (in the fridge; needs to be used up) and the very yummy Turkish seasoning from Penzeys (always in the pantry; it is amazingly versatile).

And yes, Leslieann, leftovers are a cornerstone of my cook-all-meals-at-home strategy. I couldn't do it if I actually had to cook every single day. Luckily, thanks to my freezer, fridge, and microwave, I don't.

Kara

Monday: stir-fry, using up the broccoli and zucchini I bought specifically for that, and using up some of DH's jerky-making beef "leavings", over brown rice. Tuesday: a cheap small pork roast in the crockpot, cooked w/carrots, onions and a chunk of a head of cabbage, served with the rest of the brown rice, gravy made from the pork juice, and a bag of garden corn from the freezer on the side. Wednesday: sausage, egg and cheese sandwiches on toast, using up the rest of the sausage from Sunday's brunch, with fried garden okra from the freezer. Thursday (planned): tator tot casserole and cucumber salad. Just because it sounds good, and I need to use up the cuke in the fridge. Friday (planned): kitchen-sink beef stew, which will use more of DH's jerky beef leavings, the rest of the head of cabbage, the last of the 'tators in the house, and the small bowl of the pork-roast-dinner leftovers. And I have all the other necessary veggies in the house, carrots, celery, onions, corn etc.

Thinking about trying some taquitos for a Saturday night treat. I've never made them before. Maybe a simple ground beef-n-cheese thing, and brushing or spraying them w/oil so I can bake them instead of frying, to make them a little healthier. And we would dip them in our home-canned salsa. We'll see.

I'm having a good week with "use it up before it goes bad". Would t'were that I did this good every week.....

Random taco leftovers will be rejuvenated with some pinto beans and a cornbread topping to make a 'tamale pie' type dish tomorrow night. That will probably last 2 nights. On Saturday, DD is having a sleepover and I'm making lasagna for everyone... I'll have a salad and whatever roasted veggies remain in the fridge by then.

Thread Information