Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do so many like Harlequin and other romances?

Why do so many like Harlequin and other romances?

It is such a huge business but what is the attraction? Just wondering.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I have no idea, but there must be a strong appeal because advertising agencies even use the bodice-ripper meme for commercials these days:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtlhTOijPgg
    Commercials designed for women make me embarrassed to be one.

I was looking at the range of people who bought these books at the library book sales and wondered if it was more of an adult fairy tale to escape from the routine of one's life. Why do kids love fairy tales?
    Have to confess that I have loved some of the romances and learned a lot of the eras that the authors researched before writing their books. I did use the books as an escape from a stressful time when nothing else was feasible, time or dollar-wise.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Brain candy

My very, very conservative, no-nonsense Scottish MIL got to a point late in life when she discovered her "sexy books." She gobbled them up as fast as she could buy them, and we thought it was so strange, because it was so unlike her. My BIL was always a little embarrassed by it. But I guess it's never too late for a little fun.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm not sure what the attraction is, but I've never read one. I guess it's the same reason we read anything - entertainment, getting into some else's life and mind, enjoying the story. They do seem particularly addictive.

I used to turn up my nose at mystery novels, but now I find myself quite enjoying them. (Kate Atkinson, Reginald Hill, and Tana French are all mystery writers I like.)

In my former workplace, books would make the rounds, some good and some trash. I read the first few pages of a romance novel that was making the rounds and decided it did not interest me nor did I want to put that stuff into my head. I have a relative who reads several romance novels at one time. When I think of her, my vision is of her sitting, drinking coffee, smoking and reading romance novela. My theory is that it is a fantasy life, a temporary escape from reality as she is clearly not happy with her life but I never asked. It's just not something I need or am interested in. There are more worthwhile, productive things that I can do with my time.

Not something I've ever read.....seem very formula.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I've read a few.. depends on the author. Good for when you are stressed and need an entertaining diversion.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I've read a few.. depends on the author. Good for when you are stressed and need an entertaining diversion.
    As a book-lover, I really like your use of the word 'diversion' rather than 'escape'. I feel that books are an extension of life, not an escape from it.

Thread Information