Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading in 2013?

What Are You Reading in 2013?

Time for a new reading thread! I hadn't actually planned this, but I am celebrating the 200th anniversary of Pride and Prejudice by finally reading it! I have now read all the other Austen novels and P&P was the last one left. I had been stalling on P&P because I have seen and read so many adaptations and variations that I really wondered if there would be any enjoyment left in reading the book.

Turns out I am enjoying it a great deal. I am reading a few pages a day using this free service, which I have mentioned before: www. dailylit.com. They will email you or give you a blog feed every day with a short excerpt from your chosen book. It has been a great way for me to read some of the more challenging classics that I would probably get bogged down in and give up on without the little push. I went back to my records and I have read about 35 books that way in the last five years, some quite long.

What are you reading this year?

awww thanks for starting this!
    My first novel of the year is a dud: The Virgin Cures by Ami Kay. I am 203 pages into this 315 page novel and keep thinking: it's going to get better soon, right?
    I'm skipping forward to the end to get this over with.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaJane View Post
    Time for a new reading thread! I hadn't actually planned this, but I am celebrating the 200th anniversary of Pride and Prejudice by finally reading it! I have now read all the other Austen novels and P&P was the last one left. I had been stalling on P&P because I have seen and read so many adaptations and variations that I really wondered if there would be any enjoyment left in reading the book.

Turns out I am enjoying it a great deal. I am reading a few pages a day using this free service, which I have mentioned before: www. dailylit.com. They will email you or give you a blog feed every day with a short excerpt from your chosen book. It has been a great way for me to read some of the more challenging classics that I would probably get bogged down in and give up on without the little push. I went back to my records and I have read about 35 books that way in the last five years, some quite long.

What are you reading this year?
    I'm glad you are enjoying your Austen. Truthfully, I can seldom remember the subplots and sometimes even the main plots of the big 4: P & P, Emma, S & S, Mansfield Park. They are always about young ladies getting married and I love them all.

Just read "The Lovely Bones" (a sad but lovely book and good movie too). Also Tolkiens "Simillion" (boring but interesting after re-watching the LOTR triology).

I just finished "Educating Esme," which is about a teacher's first year in an inner city classroom, which was an enjoyable quick read. It was really like a collection of quick snapshots rather than a comprehensive narrative, though. Also "When This You See" by Elaine Reichek, which was fun to browse through. Reichek is a textile artist who combines historic sampler motifs with modern prose quotations, and this was a catalogue of some of her work. Interesting!

I have finished two books The Crowded Grave by Martin Walker (if you haven't met Bruno Chief of Police in St. Denis, you are already 3 books behind) and The Boy who Loved Anne Frank by Ellen Feldman. Both were very good.
    I am currently reading
    Proof of Heaven by Eben Alexander
    Feathers: The Evolution of a Miracle by Thor Hanson
    The Glorious Cause: The American Revolution, 1763-1789 by Robert Middlekauff
    Leading on Empty by Wayne Cordiero

Left Snowball, the story of Warren Buffet, at a family members over the holiday's, and haven't picked it back up yet. The whole Tightwad Gazette thing has been on my mind since reading that thread (read the first one years ago), so reading Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich and America's Cheapext Family, by the Economides. This after reading online, several books that were recommended and how everything you would want from the TG, pretty much being online and in forums now. Want to get through these before I switch to some fiction books I have.

I just finished In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson. It is the account of William Dodd as he becomes the American ambassador to Germany during Hitler's rise to power in the 1930's. He meets Hitler and much of Hitler's staff in the course of his duties and provides some insight into the truly bizarre and evil personalities. It also gives some insight into how the intelligent and generally decent German people were duped or forced to follow the Nazi leaders. I would say it was a very good book, but not excellent.

I also read Proof of Heaven. It was a quick read as a library loaner. I am a fan of NDE type books and this one was pretty good. Worth a couple of evening if you're into that sort of thing.

Currently reading Into the Silence by Wade Davis. He is among my favorite authors.

The Big Book of Paper Beads by Kimberly Clarkson, which is neither big nor a book by my standards as it's a Kindle download. After scoring a wonderful long Ugandan paper bead necklace at VV, I'm interested in trying to make one.

And a book that should be read on Kindle: Far From the Tree: Parents, Children, and the Search for Identity by Andrew Solomon. It's one of those big, meaty books that made me love sociology--kind of like Studs Terkel's Working--nearly a thousand pages of close-packed text and references. I'm not a slow reader, but I can see this is going to take awhile. Even though it weighs about as much as the average cat, it's not warm or cuddly so in fact is a pain to hold for long. So far, it's the best book I've read in some time. (Next best: Real Aliens by Brad Steiger.)

I'm reading Scott Pecks' People of the Lie, a modern popular classic. It's about "evil" in humankind as something different than sickness. He considers it as something that science should really pay attention to. He dips into the theory of evil as a tangible thing (as in using an excorcism to erradicate.)

Mainly I have not been reading but have been I've been jamming in film viewings. I'll start a film thread one of these days.

Thread Information