Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chronic cough

chronic cough

Forgive me if I've asked this before. My brain is declining........

I use a cpap machine and my numbers are good enough. They aren't totally great, but I'm not tired during the day and have a lot of energy.
    I started having alot of coughing about 6 months ago. I figured it had something to do with post nasal drip or my cpap use.
    No other symptoms......just coughing. Also, I can choke more easily than before, when I'm eating or drinking.
    I don't want to go to the docs for this, as it might lead to alot of radiation tests, which I've already had way too many of.

I got to thinking.........I used to be able to see my epiglottis in the back of my throat when I was younger.
    Now I can't see it at all. It makes sense to me that if it was sagging (as is everything else!), it could trigger a cough reflex, or maybe it just isn't covering my trachea enough anymore when I swallow.
    Anyone else have a benign chronic cough?
    Anyone else with a sagging epiglottis?

Since chronic cough can be an indication of some serious things, I think a visit to the MD is in order. I get your reluctance... If you want to start a search of options, go to the Mayo clinic website; they are quite reputable.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Forgive me if I've asked this before. My brain is declining........

I use a cpap machine and my numbers are good enough. They aren't totally great, but I'm not tired during the day and have a lot of energy.
    I started having alot of coughing about 6 months ago. I figured it had something to do with post nasal drip or my cpap use.
    No other symptoms......just coughing. Also, I can choke more easily than before, when I'm eating or drinking.
    I don't want to go to the docs for this, as it might lead to alot of radiation tests, which I've already had way too many of.

I got to thinking.........I used to be able to see my epiglottis in the back of my throat when I was younger.
    Now I can't see it at all. It makes sense to me that if it was sagging (as is everything else!), it could trigger a cough reflex, or maybe it just isn't covering my trachea enough anymore when I swallow.
    Anyone else have a benign chronic cough?
    Anyone else with a sagging epiglottis?
    Hi Cathy, sorry to hear about your coughing issue. Are you using the humidifier with your CPap machine and cleaning it out every week with detergent and vinegar? The vinegar acts as a mild disinfectant...
    Maybe it is not this. P.S. My epiglottis is not where it used to be.

Think too a visit to the Dr. is in order! You can also do a steam inhallation with pure eculyptus aromatherapy oil and cover your head with a towel that also covers the pot, with about 6 drops of the oil in the water. Just make sure the water is warm enough to give off steam but not too hot or it will burn your lungs.

Good luck with this and let us know how you make out!

Thanks Redfox and Tussiemussies.
    I saw my sleep apnea doc and he said he thought alot of sleep apnea was caused by sagging epiglottises (epiglotti?)
    Also, he gave me a steroid nasal spray to use once a day, just to see if it made a difference in my post nasal drip. I wouldn't use it very long........just a few days to see if it affected my cough.

I've had several docs who would order tons of tests instead of using good clinical judgement. So I'm very hesitant to go. Sometimes "modern medicine" causes more problems than you start with!

Just glad you did go to the Dr. Did he order an x-ray of your chest? Hope so. If not you may want to see a different Dr. Having an x-ray would rule out pneumonia if it is there. Is your cough a dry or wet cough?

Well, I didn't go specifically for this. I happened to mention it to my sleep doc when I went. I really have no other symptoms. My lungs are clear (by stethoscope). I think I'll just see where it leads, since there aren't really any other symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Well, I didn't go specifically for this. I happened to mention it to my sleep doc when I went. I really have no other symptoms. My lungs are clear (by stethoscope). I think I'll just see where it leads, since there aren't really any other symptoms.
    Good luck CathyA...

i just read that chronic cough is a presenting symptom of colitis. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    i just read that chronic cough is a presenting symptom of colitis. Go figure.
    I'm currently studying for a health exam (to build up college credits) and I just learned that a persistent cough for more than 5 days can be a sign of cancer. "Nagging cough is one of the warning signals of cancer if it is experienced for more than five days. A nagging cough or hoarseness is one of cancer's warning signals and should be looked at by a physician if it does not go away in five days." Eek. That seems so vague as to be decidedly unhelpful, to me. But, it's in a book, so it must be true.

Kara

Or sinus drainage, or GERD. I just hadn't heard of a colitis link before.

Thread Information