Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: soft drinks...GAH!!!!

I may have posted this before (my memory ain't so good no more) ...

... anyway, back in the late '80s/early '90s a test was done to find the best tasting soda -- and diet Coke won, hands down. We didn't drink much soda in those days, but #2 son was a diehard Pepsi fan (still is). So got one can of each and I poured some in paper cups, properly disguised so no one but me could tell the difference, and had him taste them. Long story short, he liked diet Coke best, and Pepsi last (he said it was because the Pepsi was in a paper cup which made it taste bad), so ... a week later we did it again, tho this time I used glasses, and the results were the same (this time he said he was upset because the 49ers lost a game ). A couple of days later we bought a diet Coke and a Pepsi and poured out the Pepsi and poured the diet Coke into the can, and he never noticed. We had a good laugh over it, but he won't give in and still drinks Pepsi only. I prefer diet Coke to diet Pepsi, but can't tell the difference if I don't know which I'm drinking, but if I can taste both at the same time I can definitely tell the difference -- Pepsi is sweeter, and diet Coke is sharper, more lemony. DH prefers diet Pepsi (in the can) and I prefer caffeine-free diet Coke (in a glass, with LOTS of ice), so we have to buy both.

But I've only had one today, at lunch, and it was good, and it is good that I will only have one.

One note: I didn't "laugh" because the 49ers lost a game -- I'm an AVID 49ers fan -- but rather at #2 son for using that as an excuse ...

I don't drink sodas, but DH does. Any suggestions from those of you who have "kicked the habit" regarding other options to have available in lieu of sugary bubbles? He is not much of a tea drinker, "likes something with taste" (not water) with a meal and also loves the smell, but wont touch coffee.
    I came off sodas with the little glass bottled sweetened starbucks lattes you can buy at the store (I'm told Target has good prices). Vanilla is the less caffinated, mocha the crazy caffination. They aren't much like coffee, they are sugar drinks, but they do of course contain coffee. They are a complete rip off in price of course, and the sugar will rot your teeth just like soda, but I do think they are a small step up from soda from a health perspective if one is looking for a sweet caffeine delivery system. I've evolved a lot and now like black tea with cream and no sugar when I consume caffeine but ... baby steps.

I am probably doing something rotten to my body with the soda. That is coming down, quit smoking back in summer which was the biggest change so I am pretty easy on myself at this point. HoweverI find it takes a lot of other things in my life to support things like not drinking soda (exercise, meditation, friends, manageable stress) so one baby step at a time
    Oh totally, cigarettes are much worse than almost anything from a health perspective. Much worse than eating transfats or being chubby or drinking sodas, none of that is anything compared to cigs.

I don't even know how people can like diet sodas too much - to me they taste nasty.
    Totally agreed. Aweful tasting. And no way I would touch most sugar substitutes (except stevia, small amounts of zylitol).
    Trees don't grow on money

Any kombucha drinkers? A little fizzy and one of those things that people really seem to like - or they really don't. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by decemberlov View Post
    We don't do soda in our house but we do do juice mixed with seltzer water. Yum Pineapple & seltzer, cranberry & seltzer etc. I think it's a great alternative to soda.
    I've been doing this for years! I usually do about 2/3 seltzer and 1/3 juice so there's not so many calories, plenty of fizz, a good amount of taste but not too sweet. Anymore if I have straight juice I'm caught off guard by how intense the flavor is. We've got a few weeks of last summer's CSA strawberries in the freezer. I've been thinking about getting them out and crushing them with the hand blender to mix with seltzer for a change. The texture may be a bit odd, but hopefully it'll be a nice change from my usual cranberry juice.

Diet Coke...from McDonald's is the best and my down fall. The $ 1.00 large drink is a deal and some McDonalds will re-fill the large plastic cups for 60 cents. Such a deal. I don't know why it is so satisfying, so refreshing. In fact I have one sitting on the desk right now! One of my last vices.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I've been doing this for years! I usually do about 2/3 seltzer and 1/3 juice so there's not so many calories, plenty of fizz, a good amount of taste but not too sweet. Anymore if I have straight juice I'm caught off guard by how intense the flavor is. We've got a few weeks of last summer's CSA strawberries in the freezer. I've been thinking about getting them out and crushing them with the hand blender to mix with seltzer for a change. The texture may be a bit odd, but hopefully it'll be a nice change from my usual cranberry juice.
    that's exactly what I do as well 2/3 seltzer and 1/3 juice. Juice alone is way too sweet for me. On it's own I usually dilute the juice with at least 1/2 water. And it makes it last twice as long

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I wonder if you could do an infusion of the strawberries. leave the strawberries in some water in the frig for say 24 hours and then pour off the juice. I like infusions particularly in the summer. I really like cucmber and lime. I'll have to try it with seltzer.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
    I wonder if you could do an infusion of the strawberries. leave the strawberries in some water in the frig for say 24 hours and then pour off the juice. I like infusions particularly in the summer. I really like cucmber and lime. I'll have to try it with seltzer.
    That sounds like a great idea!

My grandkids are really hooked on a "Nanny cocktail" = 1/3 juice (pure juice, usually juicy-juice fruit punch or berry), 1/3 water, and 1/3 lemon-lime soda. If it's a really special occasion, they get a maraschino cherry with a drib of juice, too. Gives them the sugar and the fizz, but with less calories and a small amount of nutrition.

Thread Information