Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unclaimed Money - $200

Unclaimed Money - $200

So last night I was reading some David Bach stuff, saying people should check for Unclaimed Property/Money in each state they have lived in. Here is the website, which links to different states' treasury department missing money divisions:

www.unclaimed.org

So I'm thinking, "Yeah, right. Very unlikely." So I checked my states, and Woohoo! I had money from a previous address.

So then I read another article of his, and found more specifics at this website: www.missingmoney.com

I called the state treasury missing money number, and I have $200 from an overpaid medical bill or something, from 13+ years ago. I have to fill out the claim.

That's awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by decemberlov View Post
    That's awesome!!
    I know It's like winning the lottery. Since I don't play the lottery, this is the next best thing

I am hoping to hear from people here who go out and check those links, and find they have unclaimed money!

I checked mine a year or two ago and just re-check when you posted this. I am owed exactly $0.00. booooo

I don't have any unclaimed money now, but when I first heard about this 10 or so years ago, I tried it and did have something like $50 from a closed checking account. So, success!

Kara

We found some once for my father in law. He was in NY State and if I remember correctly, it was from a very old insurance policy. It had an address they had not lived at for over 40 years.

When I worked for the IRS in the Taxpayer Advocate Service, a coworker and myself found over $2.5 million dollars for a woman who started out as a suicide call. She was irate and unhappy that the IRS kept contacting her asking her dead husband to file a tax return. No one could understand why it was happening so the two of us started an investigation.

Her husband had zero coupon corporate bonds and when he died 10 years earlier no one knew about them. The company called the bonds and could not find the owner. So half the money or over $1.2 million was sent eventually to unclaimed property and the remaining half was about to go there.

My coworker got to meet the woman and her granddaughter on one of her business trips.

One of my favorite work stories and I was never able to quite beat it. Almost did when I helped over 800 trusts all across the country with big penalty issues and the other case where I eventually found a huge number of uncashed refund checks for Japanese auto workers in an accountant's drawer due to working on the undelivered refund check list.

What a great find!

I didn't find any for myself but found small amounts for my mother, father and brother-in-law. Also found small bit for a close friend. Wow!

I posted a few months ago about finally filing the paperwork from missingmoney.com. It was just always one of the things -- we didn't need the $$ and it didn't absolutely have to get. done. today. So it sat. For a few years. But, yeah, the $550 that came back (income tax refund check never cashed?) was a happy surprise!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information