Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unclaimed Money - $200

One year, when I was unemployed, I spent a few weeks plugging in the names of friends & family to the state version of this website, and found money for many of them. It was so much fun! None of the amounts were over $100; nonetheless, sending out emails with the info was very gratifying.

Quote Originally Posted by redfox View Post
    One year, when I was unemployed, I spent a few weeks plugging in the names of friends & family to the state version of this website, and found money for many of them. It was so much fun! None of the amounts were over $100; nonetheless, sending out emails with the info was very gratifying.
    Someone did this for us once too and we really appreciated it. A little money can be stretched a long way!

I have money on my state's site. It's in my maiden name. I suppose I will need some kind of ID to get it (it's less than $50.) but I don't have that ID any more. Well, maybe I do in my SS card. hhmmmmm.

IL, you may be able to use a copy of your marriage certificate to prove your maiden name.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thanks for posting the link to found money. I think my dad, grandfather or cousin had/has an unclaimed insurance policy. Looking into it. It was under missingmoney.

I have $52.50 waiting for me in TN. Hmmm. Might be a bit till I can get to it. They need so much documentation that I may wait till I'm back in the States.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

Most people miss the additional link on both of these sites. On unclaimed.org it's the orange tab at the top that will take you to federal sites and even some international sites that have missing money for people. On missingmoney.com click on Links and then Related Links from the drop-down menu.
    The reason I send people to unclaimed.org more than missingmoney.com is that not all states participate on missingmoney.com. To find out which ones do and don't have their info there click on the U.S. map on the home page. Blue states do not participate. Besides, I usually find more listings on the individual state site because the very old listings are not on missingmoney.com.
    But wait! There's more!!
    Millions of dollars are coming into the states from major life insurers for beneficiaries that either didn't know the policy existed or they couldn't be found. What came to light was that the companies were using the Social Security Death Index to determine when an annuitant died and they could stop making the payments. However, they were not using the same database to determine when a policyholder died and a payment needed to be made to the beneficiary.
    I was interviewed for an article in CNNMoney that is supposed to be out next week. There will be more info there if anyone has further interest.
    I hope this info was helpful. Happy treasure hunting!

Congratulations. I for one have never found a dime.

I was certain I had nothing, but turns out I have ~$37 unclaimed, from when I worked for a temp agency. Go figure. I guess I'll look up DH and my sister, the latter would be likely since she has been very scattered in the past and her workplaces may have stiffed her or not been able to find her.

I got my 200 Smackeroos in the mail today. Party time!!

Thread Information