Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rome

Rome

So I think our family vacation this year will be to Rome. Anyone have any good experiences they want to share? We like to stay in the older pedestrian frriendly parts of cities in hotels that have some flavor (converted castles, monasteries, etc). Also looking to take some day trips out of the city.

So glad to hear that you are going. I have read reports that the Coliseum is deteriorating with neglect due to lack of funds in the current economic climate there. See it and enjoy every moment.

I loved it when I took our girls in 1986. Remember to sing Arrivaderci Roma. I recall the Italian families from the US on the trip with us weeping when they heard this song knowing that their trip was a once in a lifetime event.

Don't forget to let us know how it works out after the trip.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    We went to the Vatican, although I am an athiest I found it inspiring to hear the Pope speak. Also, the Sistine chapel is a must see. Before we went we got a book on all of Michaelangelos statues and structures in the city and trooped around to see them. That was a great deal of fun. Hiking to the top of St Peter's dome is inspiring.

I have no stay recommendations but suggest checking Rick Steves Italy book out of the library. Lots of good info. Also, read Irving Stones "Agony and the Ecstacy" for a background of the art you will inevitably see.

If you decide to venture off, Florence in my book is a must see. The Baptistry doors, St. Maria Del Fiore, and other great art sights were a must for us.

the food is spectacular! Gelato anyone?

We were in Rome in 2001 so it has been a while. It was probably the best trip we have ever taken. There are many places to stay in all price ranges. We went in March and it was not too hot and not too cold. There are many street vendors selling really good food to eat for breakfast and lunch and many wonderful small cafes for your evening meal. Prices were very reasonable at that time. Be sure you stroll the piazzas after dark and eat some gelato.

I agree with flowerseverywhere, if at all possible take the bullet train and see Florence. Just incredible beauty everywhere.

A day trip to Pompeii is nice too.

We were there for our honeymoon last October....definitely go to Pompeii....fantastic trip. We saw the Vatican, went to a National Museum, and to the Trivedi Fountain. We did see the Collosium in passing....only had 2.5 days before the cruise part. Things are quite expensive and people are not so very friendly in Rome.

The place that I remember the most was staying in a convent in Rome. It is really fun to stay in unconventional places!!

We have visited Rome and stayed at the guesthouse of a monastery.
    Try this:http://www.monasterystays.com
    We were happy at the pallotines guesthouse LAR 138.
    Most guesthouese do not have a real curfew. You will get a key if you say that you might be late.
    It was so convenient to use the direct railway from the airport to the vatican station, not through the central train station with more risk of pickpockets.
    Easy walking and public transport.

We've heard of a lot of the old glass houses have or are closing due to the economy.
    Enjoy your trip!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

How exciting! I was in Rome 22 years ago. I loved it. We stayed in Place de Italy. Our company rented us apartments that were gorgeous. I danced at the Theater de Sistina, and we did a television show on the Spanish Steps. The food, coffee, and scenery are spectacular! Enjoy your trip...

Oops, just lost a post I think. Try again. I loved Rome. Liked the Coliseum (had a guided tour and she brought it alive...well worth it), the Forum, the Pantheon, the various fountains like the Trevi, the Spanish Steps. If I had to do it again, I would probably skip the Vatican. I liked being on the streets. I remember one afternoon eating lunch just feet from the Pantheon. No fences or ropes...it was right there. I second the recommendation of Rick Steve's book for Rome. He does a good job. He has good walking tours too if you like that sort of thing. The Gelato.

Thread Information