Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Medical self care

Yes, my finger is just a bit smashed, not crooked and I can still bend it a bit. The collective knowledge of my neighbors and the Internet say "just tape it so it can't move." If it seems worse or not improving, I'll go to the doctor. I was kind of undecided about this decision, which brought me here. I've had a lot of medical decisions to make in the past year and it can be quite perplexing!

I think the efficacy of mammograms is questionable... though I did get one last year, as well as pap.

I am 65 and have decided no more mammograms or paps. I do everything I can to stay healthy and avoid doctors. I do go to the dentist twice a year for teeth cleaning.

I had coworkers who ran to the doctor at the drop of a hat - or the littlest sniffle or pain - and never understood it. Virtually all of our (admittedly minor) health concerns take care of themselves with time and common sense. Bad cold or flu: time and common sense. Boo-boo gets infected: time and common sense treatment. Fall down and swell: wrap, time, and common sense treatment.

Several years ago I shut 2 fingers in a "two-ton" vault door. Taped them together for a week, took painkillers, and today I just have a bent finger and a little loss of sensation. No biggie, and saved a bunch of money and hassle by selfcare. DH had what we thought was a spiderbite - o.m.g., it was gross. Pus out the wazoo and I had to treat and tape it up with a half-inch of gauze twice a day, and it still drizzled down his back. We treated that spot for 3 solid months before it healed, which WAS getting worrisome. (then 2 years later he had the same thing happen in the exact same spot, and I realized any spiders weren't gonna bite him in the same spot, did some research, and the man is obviously prone to abscesses. I am now a whiz at treating abscesses. We treated one on his arm just a few months ago. Neosporin is my friend.)

So we're a self-care kinda household. I realize one of these days I could get bit by this philosophy.....but so far it works for us.

(sorry, double post.)

I am a believer in genes and family history. We have nothing in our family history until the later 80s and early 90s. My dad just got remarried at 87 which was 2 years ago. So I am not going for the colonoscopy and have no more mammograms. Did two full scan diagnostic mammograms with ultrasound and the radiologist was surprised my doctor even ordered them. I am also willing to take responsibility for whatever comes.

Interesting replies! You all made me a little worried about my finger, so I took advantage of a work service I've never used - the school nurse! She took a look at my finger and said "well, you could have it x-rayed, but if it were me I'd just tape it up and keep it in place for 4-6 weeks." So I feel good about that. And it only took about 5 minutes, no co-pay

In general, I'm trying to get away from relying on authorities and experts and take more responsibility in every aspect of life, from home maintenance and health and exercise to homeschooling. The older I get the less faith I have in experts in any field. It's part and parcel of becoming more self-reliant, which is a big part of simple living to me.

I go for a yearly exam with blood work and PAPs. I also get my thyroid nodule measured every year (if it grows it's an indication it may have turned cancerous) and colonscopies every 5 years (runs in my family)

Haven't had a mammogram-over here 50 is the age to begin if no family history. And I have read reports where mammos didn't prevent any deaths..who knows anymore!

I avoid at all costs xrays, etc. And don't run to the doctor for every ailment (I had an ear infection over the holidays that cured itself)

For my children, I trust my gut. Once my youngest had a sore on his foot. dh said it was nothing, but my gut told me differently, so when I examined it I noticed the sore foot was swollen so we went to doctor and it was a staph infection. They told me if I waited a day or two more he would have had to been hospitalized for possibly weeks while they gave him antibiotic drip (not sure if they were trying to scare me)

So, I guess I am not so good with self care-haha..although I am trying to build up an herbal first aid kit. I have Manuka honey, rosemary oil, tea tree oil and want to buy some sambuktol

I normally try to talk myself out of going to the doctor but hope I would make the right decision in a true emergency. My mother, a hospital pharmactist, always told me that docs were at their best in emergencies. Based on all of my past experiences and observing those of others, a trip to the doctor for non-emergency things usually ends with some common sense guidelines, diagnostic tests, and a prescription or two. And very often, treatment that is not necessary and occasionally harmful. Nothing seems to be healed anymore without a pill. For the past three years, I have elected not to have all the female "preventative" screenings. Why? Personal choice - anytime I try to explain my beliefs about it, someone comes back with how some test saved their life so it's an argument I can't win. I have watched various relatives and co-workers diagnosed with cancer and the treatment always seems much worse than the disease.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I normally try to talk myself out of going to the doctor but hope I would make the right decision in a true emergency. My mother, a hospital pharmactist, always told me that docs were at their best in emergencies. Based on all of my past experiences and observing those of others, a trip to the doctor for non-emergency things usually ends with some common sense guidelines, diagnostic tests, and a prescription or two. And very often, treatment that is not necessary and occasionally harmful. Nothing seems to be healed anymore without a pill. For the past three years, I have elected not to have all the female "preventative" screenings. Why? Personal choice - anytime I try to explain my beliefs about it, someone comes back with how some test saved their life so it's an argument I can't win. I have watched various relatives and co-workers diagnosed with cancer and the treatment always seems much worse than the disease.

I agree with you pinkie, for me it looks like many die from the chemo therapy and I wonder if other countries have some better treatments than we do. I read something about this once but cannot remember the facts...

Quote Originally Posted by ctg492 View Post
    awakenedsoul, do you not go for mammograms and all those lady type checkups? colonoscopy either? If you choose not to have those done, why not? I f I may ask. I do not think I have been to a doctor for an illness in years and years aside from two hernias from the no pain no gain line of thought. I feel I am in super shape, vegetarian/runner and biker,non smoker or drinker, but somethings I can have no control over so I will have those things done.
    No, I don't have those done. I feel they are too invasive. I just don't agree with Western medicine. It's not for me. I'll take my chances with those types of cancer. I'm not trying to convince anyone else, that's just how I feel. I believe doctors are too eager to do surgery and to prescribe meds. It's big business.
    It's good that you do what's best for you. My life is pretty stress free, which helps a lot, too.

Thread Information