Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about canned pet food

Question about canned pet food

I feed my dog half Blue Buffalo dry food and half canned food twice a day.
    I only use 1/4 can per meal. I keep it in the fridge. I always warm it up before I give it to her, if its been in the fridge.
    Do you warm yours up? Its sort of a pain. I use the microwave. I'd love to quit doing that, but eating cold food seems like it wouldn't be good for her. Tell me I'm wrong.

DH and I feed our weiner dog similarly. DH always heats up the canned cold food portion in the microwave; I don't. So far, it doesn't seem to matter as she readily eats it either way.

Thanks pinkytoe. I keep telling my dog to slow down and enjoy it. She swallows it whole, without savoring it. haha

I don't warm up our canned cat food. They don't seem to mind. However when I've given our cat warm food that I've been working on in the kitchen - scraps of chicken from a carcass I'm cleaning, or just-roasted sweet potatoes - he does not eat it until it has cooled to room temp.

I mix about 2 tablespoons of canned food with 1 cup of dried food. The canned food is refrigerated and I don't warm it; dog is fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I use the microwave. I'd love to quit doing that, but eating cold food seems like it wouldn't be good for her. Tell me I'm wrong.
    I can't imagine that it would be more or less healthful either way. You probably eat cold food sometimes with no ill effects, after all. So, it comes down to preference. If she won't eat it cold, that's another issue.

My dogs get dry food (currently, Taste of the Wild), but my cat gets canned (Trader Joe's) and every other meal, it comes straight outta the fridge and she eats it happily.

Kara

I guess I was thinking cold food would be rough on her stomach. But if its not an issue, I would be really happy to not have to heat it up all the time!
    Thanks for all your input!

Canned cat food smells horrible when microwaved. I don't know how dog food smells, but the stench alone would keep me from warming up the cat's food.

I've had some cats that would wait for cold food to warm up to room temperature, but usually they are more interested in eating it right away, cold or not, so that the other cat can't get it.

We feed our dogs dry food that has been soaked in water for 12 hours because we have an elderly nearly toothless Frenchie and she can't eat a lot of dry food. So usually it is room temperature, but during the very hot day sof summer I put their food in the fridge. I never worry about it being too cool for them.

OP I wouldn't consider cold food a problem with dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris lily View Post
    We feed our dogs dry food that has been soaked in water for 12 hours because we have an elderly nearly toothless Frenchie and she can't eat a lot of dry food. So usually it is room temperature, but during the very hot day sof summer I put their food in the fridge. I never worry about it being too cool for them.
    I soak all my dogs' kibble, since our multi-thousand-dollar adventure with intestinal problems early last year, and other digestive issues later on. No problems since. They don't mind a bit if it's cold or warm. What a nice dog mom you are, CathyA

Thread Information