Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10 year olds being arrested in Texas for behaving their age, now have misdemeanors...

OMG! Seriously?? That is ridiculous! If this is indicative of the future of the US (and other countries that seem to follow in the US footsteps) I am NOT looking forward to what is to come!
    Lurker/poster formerly known as squeak

MamaM
    I am in Texas. So the BULLYING of the girl was ok? Excuse my Texan but WTH????

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaM View Post
    I am in Texas. So the BULLYING of the girl was ok? Excuse my Texan but WTH????
    Yes, I picked up on that, too. What kind of messages is that young lady getting from this ordeal and how is this going to shape her future? Were she my daughter, I'd be pulling her out of public school so fast....(this is not to knock her parents in any way).....Rob
    Last edited by gimmethesimplelife; 1-18-13 at 1:21am.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
    OMG! Seriously?? That is ridiculous! If this is indicative of the future of the US (and other countries that seem to follow in the US footsteps) I am NOT looking forward to what is to come!
    I'm not either, I'm really not. Rob

Haven't read all the links, but the general scenarios were confirmed to me by a friend who is a recently retired juvenile probation officer. Bottom line is that our society has criminalized behavior that in decades past would have gotten a kid a lecture by a police officer and/or punishment by the kid's parents.
    But once the kids are handcuffed and fingerprinted, it gets them into the legal system with a record that may or may not follow them. Craziness.

Sickening.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Upon reflection, I would guess this is the logical consequence of the combination of zero tolerance policies and no corporal punishment (outsourcing of discipline).
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I am not a big fan of corporal punishment, and believe there are plenty of other ways to create discipline without striking a child.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I am not a big fan of corporal punishment, and believe there are plenty of other ways to create discipline without striking a child.
    I would agree, but it looks like some schools have simply outsourced discipline to their local police departments rather than explore in-house methods.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    +1 - if it's not appropriate or effective to do to adults, it's definitely not appropriate to do to children.

Thread Information