Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CREWEL kind of girl

CREWEL kind of girl

I really enjoy hand embroidery. Crewel work, etc. I've alway been fond of all kinds of crafts and I have the fabric, yarn and project stash to prove it!

I also have an embroidery machine my mother gave me, but I'm not very interested in it. I find it much more satisfying to my creativity to embroider by hand.

Does anyone else do any type of needlework?

Barb

I do embroidery and cross stitch from time to time, as well as sewing, knitting, and crocheting.
    My aunt and grandmother taught me embroidery, and one of my favorite past-times when I visited their home was to hand-sew various things out of tiny scraps of fabric. So I make sure that I keep my daughter supplied with all sorts of random things to spark her creativity.

Do you make your own embroidery designs?

I alternate cross stitch and quilting with various other crafts. Right now I have put away the quilting and started back on some old cross stitch stash. Just about done with the Halloween scissor holder and scissor fob.

I love hand embroidery! My mom taught me when I was a girl and I've loved it ever since. I'm very happy when I have a needle in my hand.

I don't like machine sewing, though. I want to hold the needle and thread, and I feel clumsy with the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post

Do you make your own embroidery designs?
    I haven't made any of my own designs yet. Sometimes I think I'm afraid to step out on my own and design something myself. But what could be the worst that could happen? Lol. But I'm still really learning. I make a lot of mistakes, but the look and feel and, oh, the glorious colors keep me excited about embroidery.

I have taken a bunch of elements from other people's designs to make something, but nothing uniquely my own.

Rosemary--it's great that you share your knowledge and love of crafting with your daughter. I remember lots of wonderful moments learning and crafting with my mom. My mom let me just experiment....she never tried to micro-manage my projects. I think just setting your daughter free to explore her creative side is a wonderful gift!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    I alternate cross stitch and quilting with various other crafts. Right now I have put away the quilting and started back on some old cross stitch stash. Just about done with the Halloween scissor holder and scissor fob.
    Sweetana,

Ive always found it so difficult to do counted cross stitch. I've never been successful with a CCS project.
    The Halloween scissor holder and fob sound darling! I've seen so many beautiful projects. In fact my mother does counted cross stitch. I find it difficult and distracting with the small print and following along.

I guess it's just a Lot easier to me to fill in a larger space! Like coloring with threads rather than that exquisite and perfect tiny stitches.

I like quilting. I haven't done a project in a while, but bought a cute bunny appliqué pattern to try, as I have a soft spot for bunns!

Barb

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsie View Post
    I love hand embroidery! My mom taught me when I was a girl and I've loved it ever since. I'm very happy when I have a needle in my hand.

I don't like machine sewing, though. I want to hold the needle and thread, and I feel clumsy with the machine.
    Have you done anything recently, Bootsie? Im going to work on a pillowcase and matching hand towels from Herschner that I just ordered. I also ordered a Crewel pillow cover.

Barb

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieGirl View Post
    Have you done anything recently, Bootsie? Im going to work on a pillowcase and matching hand towels from Herschner that I just ordered. I also ordered a Crewel pillow cover.

Barb
    The only things I've made recently are small items - Christmas ornaments and felt figurines. Most of my projects in the past few years have been small ones, but I always have some sort of project going. I'm currently thinking about what to stitch for a Valentines Day project.

Embroidered pillowcases was something I loved to do in the past. Thanks for bringing up that memory. Hey, maybe that's what I'll do for Valentines project!!

Yes, I like doing embroidery and my mom found me some felt ornament kits and those were fun to assemble. I detest counted cross stitch, though, sorry to the aficionados! Too much room for error.

Learning to crochet and enjoying that so far!
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

I have not embroidered since high school, but I;ve still got a stash of embroidery threads.

I did make original desgins, and I remember seeing someone at my college with a copy on her shirt of one of my designs. I was flattered.

Thread Information