Thread: Latest city irritation

Latest city irritation

We live on a brick street with only a little traffic. One area needs to be built up but the city and historic groups have been fighting for over 10 years on what to do with the street. We asked for a barricade or cones to let people know there is a depression (not a pothole and not truly dangerous).

The city's solution is three steel plates. Well, first the snow plow moved one and created a very dangerous situation. Then it further moved so the point was facing traffic. Again more dangerous. So they fixed it.....

Now whenever someone not in the know drives over it, it moves up and down and sounds like a big clap of thunder. All day and night. A row of condos is within 10 feet of the plate and it must be driving them crazy since I can hear it and I am a 5 houses away.

Why could they not give us a partial barricade with a light or some safety cones is beyond me.

I am starting to see everything as a connection of expectations so asked myself where the disconnect between expectations was here.

Residents expect to live in relative security re safety, noise etc., paid for by taxes. The noise and shift in the metal plates does not comply with those legitimate expectations.

How does 'city hall' employed with the taxes see the expectations due from them? The steps that they have taken have partially addressed the situation but not very satisfactorily.

What expectation do the residents now have that is not being met?

I am not being contrary but find that if I mentally work things out this way, I get the personal conflict and emotion (frustration) out of the way and make it strictly an administration issue which makes it easier to negotiate and receive support from other residents of the area and the city council that oversees the staff. Does anyone know a council member in order to bring, see and hear the noise? Is there a critical care resident who is especially impacted by the noise who can also express concern about the safety/noise?

Hope that you find a solution or this will be a long irritating issue.

sweetana, I'd call the city again and express thanks for their interest in resolving the problem and suggest that the noise made by the current solution is too loud. And maybe call more than once if nothing positive happens. Squeaky wheel and all that. They don't live there -- you do.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information