Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I re-activated my facebook and I think I regret it already

I re-activated my facebook and I think I regret it already

Geez, I remember really liking keeping up with friend and especially cousins across the country when I had facebook before. I had a person who went wacko in my personal life and so I shut everything down for almost a year. Now his wife is in the process of divorce so I feel it is better, plus I have very few people on my facebook. But already it is getting on my nerves.

So does everyone have lots of people who disagree with them on facebook? I am not posting things that people disagree with, just basic little things like running into an old friend, but I have friends posting things that are so far away from my opinion that I wonder how we have been friends so long. Maybe it is just the nature of Facebook

We were just chatting about this yesterday. In my opinion Facebook is something to be enjoyed, and if it's not, then there is no obligation to do it. Neither is there obligation to keep people showing up on there who annoy you or pick on you. So use "hide" liberally and unfriend where needed, and if it sucks, quit again! For the most part I very much enjoy FB but I have done quite a bit of "weeding" of my little digital garden.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Quote Originally Posted by fidgiegirl View Post
    So use "hide" liberally and unfriend where needed, and if it sucks, quit again! For the most part I very much enjoy FB but I have done quite a bit of "weeding" of my little digital garden.
    I too use hide or unfriend more frequently than I used to find necessary on FB. It is amazing what people will post these days. I still use it to catch up with old friends or stay in touch with across the country family so for that, I am thankful. The political rants (regardless of side) and sometimes frequent complaining by some users do not add to my day...so I subtract them from my list or at least "hide" their constant posts from showing up on my newsfeed.

Yes I think hiding anything related to the gun issue and avoiding my good friend who 100% hates Obama would be good. I did post a talk called 'are you a spiritual badass' that is excellent. He talks about how people like the Dalai Lama continue to speak well of their enemies and how much spiritual strength that is. So it isn't so much a pro or con Obama as it is not conducive to my spiritual practice, and eventually may affect the overall friendship

I love the 'hide' button.
    I use it on people who post political rants, and people who share one too many cute photo/saying things or cat videos.
    My husband is down to checking facebook maybe once every 3 weeks or so. I'm still there daily but I maintain our business page (I just post things we're working on, I'm not trying to boost sales) and I admin our church page and I like catching up with friends.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I have a FB account with a few ‘friends’…not every Tom, Dick or Harriet like some people I know. I don’t post my opinion, I don’t post anything controversial, I don’t respond to any controversial post, I don’t post anything personal. I’ve reconnected with some long ago (real) friends and that’s fun but as I’ve heard it said, it’s your status, not your personal journal or soapbox. If I have something personal to say to one of my FB friends then I will message them. And yes, the word ‘message’ is now considered a verb.

I also liberaly use the hide button and I dont open most video clips or attachments with sensational type titles. They just irritate me.

One brother got so mad at me about my middle of the road opinions, he unfriended me. No loss. He falls for every article and spouts a lot of Rush Limbaugh. My new stepmother started in on it and I hide any posts that even border on radical. If it about family, ok. I feel for her since she has to listen to Dad and my brother.

I find Facebook to be easier to handle than family get-togethers in that regard. Much easier to skim past something you find offensive online than to blow past it when you're face-to-face.

MamaM
    I always say FB is your thought bubble outloud- the stuff you WANT to say but society dictates some civility. I deactivated mine after some drama when my husband almost died after a surgery 6 months ago and a woman openly attacked me during this time. This was someone I was friends with for 3 years and I knew she was opinionated but she attacked my husband and my family. I had to really think if this was enhancing my life at all. I am a pro-email gal. I send off new pics monthly with a short note. I don't like people knowing that I took vacation and that I am currently eating lobster- yes, a post like this caused another rant because I was told I was wasting my money. Ce la vie~!!!!!

Hmmm.... I'm actually surprised that some of you have much more "interesting" FB friends than I do. I've got a family that stretches WAY across some normally contentious boundaries, but the conflicts haven't yet risen to the level I'm reading about.

Thread Information