Thread: Hey Float On.......how's your ankle?

Hey Float On.......how's your ankle?

Was just wondering how your ankle is doing? Is it all better? Did you get through it without any surgery?
    I hope you're back to normal. Maybe its a new normal? Maybe you'll be able to predict the weather by it now?

New Normal for now...but with the hope of continued improvement

I did manage to avoid surgery but I do seem to have some ligament and tendon damage which will hopefully continue to improve as time goes on.
    We're not far from the 5 month mark. Accident was Sept 5, took a week to get into the ortho, he put me on another 2 weeks bedrest to reduce swelling so I didn't get a cast until end of week 3. 5 weeks in cast and then physical therapy while in aircast for another month or so. I think the aircast did more damage to old knee problems than it was helpful. This was my right ankle so I didn't drive until right before Christmas.

Tripped over the dog the other night and had to go back to ice and ibuprofen.

Have a little limp or hitch that gets worse as the day goes on.

YES I can predict weather changes now.

Thank you for asking. When this first started they said 6 mts recovery time if I didn't do surgery. I'm still glad I didn't have any hardware put in (have heard a few horror stories about that).
    They said to expect swelling and issues for at least a year.

My church was great - so many meals provided. Rides to and from work when I started back up and they paid me through out the whole time and don't expect me to make up the lost hours all 95 of them. I work 20 hrs a week so that was a lot of time away from my job.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Glad to hear you're at least moving in the right direction.

funny you should mention how your cast may have hurt your knee. Something very similar happened to me a couple of times. I had foot surgery once and I had to walk weirdly.......which hurt my knee.
    Then I had a meniscus repair on my knee. I didn't realize it, but when they take away some meniscus, it can cause your lower leg to curve out a bit.......which caused me to walk funny and get a morton's neuroma in my foot, which caused me to develop a hammer toe. You just never know what the treatment to fix one thing, might cause in something else!
    I'm glad you had such great support from your church.

Best wishes for a full recovery!

Your church sounds wonderful.
    I'm glad you feel good about the choices you made re: surgery. It can be very difficult these days! So many opinions, so much research that you can do.

Take it easy and watch out for that dog.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Glad to hear that it is better than it was. Your workplace and church group really were great to you. Glad they made things a little easier for you...

Ditto good wishes for your continued recovery.....

Walked 1 mile tonight at the lake-----progress!
    (and then I came home and put ice on it)
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Walked 1 mile tonight at the lake-----progress!
    (and then I came home and put ice on it)
    That sounds like a lot of progress. Although hope that isn't too much for you...

Didn't see this earlier Float On. I hope you did okay after that long walk.

Thread Information