Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: jewelry

Like artist, I only own 1 piece of jewelry, which is my wedding band. The wedding ring I had made for my DW is insured ... I smile when she takes it off (like to stuff a turkey), because it's appraised and insured for W-A-Y more than it cost to put together.

FWIW I think it is admirable for a woman to have a gem of an intellect, along with nuggets of insight. I druther that, than she own/wear gems set in gold.

I wear a watch most of the time (it's a nurse thing), and one of three necklaces: a Celtic cross my mother gave me, a Tree of Life my daughter gave me, or a chain and one of several charms I inherited from my mother. I also inherited 2 diamond rings from my mom, one of which was her wedding ring, and a pair of earrings that were my grandmother's, but we haven't located them yet. I only wear my watch when working, and often a necklace, since I can tuck it inside my scrub top, but never a ring, and I usually forget to put one on when I am not working. Much like my cell phone, which I never remember to turn on when I'm not working, since I turn it off while at work. I lost the stupid thing (phone) for a couple of days and never missed it, and no one called me. Yeah, I'm real popular!

Wow, that's the first time I've used the phrase "inherited from my mother". Seems strange.

I have lots of vintage stuff I rarely wear. May give it away... And several pretty handmade silver & turquoise pieces. Aso some fresh water pearls, in modern, quirky settings. Don't wear any of it much...

Wildflower
    I love jewelry. I love looking at others' jewelry. I really like the artsy, crafty, homemade beaded stuff. I have a friend that makes jewelry for a living. I love looking at her stuff. But I don't love wearing jewelry at all....
    What I wear daily, is my wedding ring and anniversary ring, my tiny diamond stud earrings, sometimes I change them out to tiny hoops, and the occasional necklace when going out.
    I inherited alot of my Mother's and Grandmother's jewelry, which again I love to look at, but not wear....

I admire the heck out of women who can pull off accesories with flair. What I love to look at on others is something I would never wear. I barely wear color! I have an engagement ring on my left hand and a wedding ring on my right. I wear a nice watch and a lovely pair of platinum hoops. My mother in law gave me a beautiful celtic cross necklace a couple of years ago that she brought back from Killarney. I wear these pieces each and every day. I tell people not to buy me jewelry because I won't take off what I'm wearing and any more would be too much.
    My mom loved all things sparkly. In her later years she worked at a high end consigment shop as a volunteer one day a week. I don't think she ever came home without a purchase. Other than her wedding ring and another she had made, I don't associate any of that jewelry with her. She passed almost a year ago and I think much of it is going to return to the same shop because I'll never wear it.

Oh, Simplemind, maybe out mothers were related! My mom loved her bling! She had a lot of costume jewelry, but some good pieces, too. She worked for years in a local jewelry store, and had a chance to see all the estate pieces when they came in, and just to browse the rest. She also enjoyed buying crystal. If it sparkled, she loved it! Certain pieces she was adamant that I have, and my dd has a ring, too. My niece has no interest in it, but I'm saving some for her in case she changes her mind. My brother takes the costume stuff to the Goodwill where he works, and he has said it usually sells the day they put it out, so I guess a lot of people like the sparkly stuff. I will never get rid of the rings my mom wanted me to have, even though I don't wear them often, but I know how much it meant to her that I have them.

I generally don't wear jewelry unless I'm going out somewhere special. Then it's very simple stuff - usually just some funky earrings or hoop ear rings. I don't like rings at all and never wore my wedding ring - and couldn't wear it or any jewelry on the job as it was a safety hazard - although I sometimes did wear it on the job (small stud earrings too) even if I wasn't suppose too. A girl just has to accessorize her wet suit ya know :-)! So would just wear it and other jewelry occasionally. Got rid of almost all the jewelry I owned and just have a few things I really like.

ETA: I also don't like accesories much and rarely wear them. Don't own any scarfs, pins, belts, etc...

I store my dangly earrings on a vintage cheese grater I bought for $3, painted a funky color and added little feet (drawer pulls that were free) to the bottom. For necklaces, my dad handmade a tree of sorts for a xmas present one year. Love them both.

I wear my wedding set every day. And change earrings/necklaces fairly often. This "accessorizing" is new to me. I wore the same pair of diamond studs given to me by my mom for 5 years straight I think. I have to admit I enjoy changing the look of an outfit just by changing out the necklace or earrings. Especially, when all the pieces were great, cheap finds! I recently went through all my jewelry (obtained over a decade from various sources: friends, family, exboyfriend or two) and sold a lot of it to a local shop. I guess that is actually when I started wearing some of the items I kept. Knew what I had and appreciated them again--- plus could actually see them now with my new displays

In my bank security box, I have two old family tiaras. One I wore at my wedding, the other my daughter wore to hers. I cannot imagine another occasion to wear either, but the burden of family tradition means I keep them! I would LOVE to just sell them, along with other inherited, but largely ugly pieces, but my conscience won't let me!

Thread Information