Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Childrens Book About Simple Living

Childrens Book About Simple Living

I have never written a childrens book before, but have drafted a story for kids about living simply. I have a couple of questions:

1. Do any of you know of any childrens books about simple living that have already been published? If there are some, I'd like to see what is already out there and share them with my kids.

2. Has anyone published a childrens book and is willing to help me figure out what to do next? Any advice would be appreciated!

Mrs-M
    I wish I had a some helpful advice and direction for you but I don't, but I sure do admire you Karla! Sending best wishes your way in hopes of it returning (to you) much deserved success.

Check out the Writer's Market resources.

The only SL contemporary children's book I know of is about a bear named Henry that is loosely based on HD Thoreau.
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

Some of Byrd Baylor books are about simple living - or, perhaps more accurately, about finding simple pleasures in life. Some of her titles are:
    The Table Where Rich People Sit
    I'm in Charge of Celebrations
    The Other Way to Listen
    Everybody Needs a Rock

GOOD LUCK! I think this is a terrific idea!!

Thank you for the great ideas & your words of encouragement! I will definitely check out the resources on Writer's Market and the Byrd Baylor books...

Karla,

You're talking about a topic near and dear to my heart. It is my goal to be living simply as much as possible and to connect with others who have the same ethic. Many people I discuss this with are interested in how to instill these ideas in our children, and your idea to write a children's book on the topic is a great one. Since this thread is a few months old, I wonder: have you finished? Many people I know would be interested.

Ox Cart Man - very nice story about simple living, picture book.

Thank you so much for your interest! I have the story written, but unfortunately still have not figured out what to do next. I was hoping to find someone who has successfully published a children's book that could help me, but I haven't had any luck. If you have any other ideas as to what I should do, please let me know. Even though it is not a book yet, I would be willing to share my story with you so that you can let me know what you think. Email me at simplelivingfamily(at)gmail(dot)com and I will reply with it attached as a Word document. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Karla View Post
    Thank you so much for your interest! I have the story written, but unfortunately still have not figured out what to do next. I was hoping to find someone who has successfully published a children's book that could help me, but I haven't had any luck. If you have any other ideas as to what I should do, please let me know. Even though it is not a book yet, I would be willing to share my story with you so that you can let me know what you think. Email me at simplelivingfamily(at)gmail(dot)com and I will reply with it attached as a Word document. Thanks again!
    Get an agent, that's my advice. Agents act as pre-editors and they give thumbs up/down on if your book is marketable, and they know where to pitich it if it IS marketable. Is yours a chapter book? a picture book? I don't advise doing your own artwork.

Ask Storyteller if he will read it, he is a childrens' librarian and he probably buys a fair number of childrens' books.

Although not limited to advice on children's books you might want to browse the following blog that is filled with advice from successful literary agents.

http://www.guidetoliteraryagents.com/blog/

Thread Information