Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simple Living dating website?

I don't envy folks who are dating but I do know that my daughter met her husband online....and that was a good match between two introverts who would never have hooked up any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sissy View Post
    Hi, guys! Been a while. It has been a crazy 6 months and I am just getting back into the swing of things. I am looking for a singles site to look for guys that are looking for gals that really are into simple living. I have tried Match.com (disaster, scammers everywhere!) and now I am on ChristianMingle.com. Not ready to dive into anything right now, but am looking for a nice guy that actually understands what SL is!

I see a lot of new "faces" on here, too!

Sissy
    I haven't ever online dated yet so can't help you there - although I have heard from friends that eHarmoney and Plenty of Fish are good for people who are looking for serious relationships (I'm currently not looking for anything serious). But I will say that when you talk to a potential guy about simple living you should be very specific about what SL means to you. I have been set up by friends - or met guys elsewhere - who say they are into SLing only to realize that what they mean by SL and what I mean by SL are completely different. On the surface it seems the same - I want to retire early and live minimal so that I can travel. My meaning is a tiny studio apt in Paris where I can walk to the cafe for my morning cafe au lait and chocolate crossiant, walk to all the great museums and cultural activities, and hike and bike around the Europe staying at hostels. He means he wants to live in a tent in the middle of the desert half of the year and on a glacier in Alaska the other half and catch all his own food, make all his own clothes from his catches, and howl at the moon for entertainment. Both simple, minimalist, frugal lives of travel but very very different!

In my area, Plenty of Fish is a waste of my time. Male friends have told me it's the biggest "hook-up" dating site of all. I've never heard of Mingle, but have tried many others over several years. Yes, it is important to be careful, but also not to become a recluse! I've met several good men, but not any where we've both been interested. It seems to be more difficult to meet someone when you are older, but you NEVER know what one day will bring. I'm not giving up. And yeah, finding a like-minded man I'm attracted to is a challenge...

I've found some real creepers online, but real-life hasn't offered anything better either. There's craigslist personals but most of those are people looking for--hmm, how to put this delicately?--activities of an adult nature, instead of a relationship. I've tried plentyoffish, okcupid, and yahoo personals (even paid for a month there). I hate being single, but better that than being with someone who's wrong for me.

I love being single - and want to keep it that way right now - but I meet all kinds of guys just by doing activities I'm interested in rather then looking at dating sites or singles groups. I think that if people do the things they love and try to get involved in a variety of activities they enjoy, then that is where you will more likely meet someone who shares your interests. I like meetups myself - as well as places like the Sierra Club, and other outdoor types of clubs/groups. Sure not everyone is single, and there may be more women then men in a group (although I have found this to be just the opposite with many more men then women), but women have brothers, and male friends and co-workers, all of who may be more compatable with you then some random guy you meet online.

You might check out greensingles.com. I've pretty much given up on online dating, but it seemed to have more like minded singles than anything else I've seen. It's basic offering is free.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

oh, wow, guys! I have been talking to this fellow for 2 weeks now and we will see. At least we are on the same page about simple! I had no idea that the discussion would go this far, lol. I am going to see what happen with this guy and if it works out, GREAT, if not I will try some of the sites you have mentioned.

Being middle aged, introverted and a SL'r probably is a wicked combination, but there has to be people out there somewhere looking..........
    I may not run with the wind in my hair, but I do get winded.

Thread Information