Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Job, Really?

What's Your Job, Really?

I loved this story from the Planet Money website where people described what they actually do all day in their jobs:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/...jobdescription

I think mine would be "talking people into things." (non-profit manager.) I talk new volunteers into doing it our way, established volunteers into doing things a new way, staff members into taking on new projects or handling their old ones differently, community organizations into forming partnerships, etc.

What do you really do all day?

Decide which people get sent cheques and how big that cheque is. That is, when I'm not training new people how to decide which people get sent cheques and how big that cheque is.

I am the bringer of the harsh light of reality. I spend most of my time putting things in perspective, crushing everyone's hopes and dreams, reining in everyone's crazy ideas, and generally returning everyone to reality, both operationally and financially. It's a good thing I have a charming personality, otherwise people at work would hate me.

I.T. assembly line. And it really is like an assembly line, I have called it the factory, and I just turn a virtual screw or two for a virtual widget again and again and again and again, all day, every day.

No wonder people easily believed that we only use 10% of our brains, it turns out not to be entirely true, what is true is we only use 10% of our brains WHILE AT WORK!!!
    Trees don't grow on money

Trying to keep people from doing stupid things. And explaining the consequences (customs fines) if they do such stupid things.

Quote Originally Posted by cdttmm View Post
    I am the bringer of the harsh light of reality. I spend most of my time putting things in perspective, crushing everyone's hopes and dreams, reining in everyone's crazy ideas, and generally returning everyone to reality, both operationally and financially. It's a good thing I have a charming personality, otherwise people at work would hate me.
    so, you are the money person, right? You dispense money?

I manage an assembly line. My days are spent toggling between quantity and quality decisions. I want both, not either/or, yet I don't aim for perfection. I aim for 95% right.

Mine was breaking things. The idea was to overload Web sites and networks in simulation before clients got a chance to do so.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Assessing patients, implementing treatment plans, and serving as the coordinator of things between docs, nurses, techs, patients, social workers, families, and management. I'm the charge nurse. Sometimes I clean up literal shit, and sometimes it is merely figurative. Literal is easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris lily View Post
    so, you are the money person, right? You dispense money?
    Yes, all the money goes through me. I am the one with the power to approve or deny all things money related. I'm the COO for a media start-up. We don't yet have a CFO so my job is really a COO/CFO combo.

Thread Information