Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Another work update

Quote Originally Posted by frugalone View Post
    Jennipurr, I have been reading ebooks on my computer. IT does help pass the time.

Last year, I did volunteer my services in terms of starting a library newsletter. Since it was the end of the semester, it was put on the back burner. I may bring it up again (though I've been told we're out of money right now and can't even afford to repair books).

I guess I still need to keep thinking...
    What about an e-newsletter? No cost for paper...

I probably could do my degree online while in this job. At least, that was my original plan.

I've been having doubts, though, about getting my MLS. The reasons I'm doubting are these: 1) We have two recent MLS grads who are volunteering here because they can't find jobs. That does not bode well for the market around here, and I am not willing to relocate. Nothing like a real-life bad example! 2) I am finding out on various online librarian groups that EVEN IF you have an MLS and years of paraprofessional experience, there's a very good chance you still won't find a librarian job. 3) I'm continually being told that if you don't LOVE this field, don't go into it. Well, so far I don't see anything to love. And I"m feeling like spending $20K on something I don't love is with little or no chance of getting a job is not the smartest move.

Our area is very high in unemployment, one of the highest in our state. It's very sad. Even within the university, there are very few job openings for which I am qualified.

Everyone has given me so many good suggestions, yet I still feel very stuck and very depressed about the whole thing. I guess all I can do is keep looking and trying for something else.

Quote Originally Posted by lhamo View Post
    frugalone,

I would start planning your next step. This is not a healthy environment -- not for you, and not for the organization. Is there any way you can do on-line MLS coursework while having this job? Then you could at least consider it on-the-job training. And in the meantime be working on building up your networks in the library field so that you can land your next position as soon as you have the MLS.

I would go insane in an environment like that. And I love working in libraries! But I always worked in very small branches/collections where there was plenty to do and I was encouraged to do what needed to be doing. I can't imagine sitting behind a desk all day with more or less nothing to do.

You might also want to start looking at what other positions are available in the university. It is sometimes easier to get hired as an internal hire than external. Even if you switched to an administrative position, at least you wouldn't be bored out of your skull. Disadvantage is that you wouldn't be getting library experience.

And definitely keep your eyes/ears out for other positions in your area.

lhamo

Hey frugalone -

what were you looking for from being a librarian? I have worked as a cataloger, children's services, IT, reference, in public, university, and community college libraries. Right now I'm feeling a little like you! My favorite part of work was teaching Research Workshops, but because of severe hearing loss I'm an unable to teach. So I am on the reference desk (I hear/speech-read well enough for one-on-one, face to face) and doing book selection, weeding, and whatever cataloging the 'official cataloger' allows me. It's less than inspiring!

I loved story-telling - being a children's librarian can be a blast. I also enjoyed the period when libraries were just becoming automated - I oversaw retrospective conversion projects at 3 different libraries. Now I'm not sure what I'm doing - it was one year yesterday since my hearing loss and I am no closer to an answer. Well, I'm writing a novel but not counting on that as a second career! I suggest working at a public library before bailing on the idea entirely (public library pay is low, tho'.)

Fortunately I'm pretty much FI - just have a hard time letting go of the monthly paycheck and the carrot of a pension if I hang on for another 5 years....

Our library director is planning on retiring in June and I'm going to apply for that position - we'll see what happens.

Before I had dd I worked various second jobs (wanted to get that mortgage paid off!) I had a second-hand store that focused on books (found I hated retail), worked for a textbook publisher as a fact-checker (fun at the time - pre-internet.) Maybe you'd enjoy something on the publishing end - books or magazines?

I guess you have the time to explore some options!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Talk about synchronicity! I have just been asked to take over the director's postion starting in the fall. Hoo boy, this is going to need it's own thread!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Congratulations on your new position as director!

I wanted to think about my reply before posting it here. I don't have a definite answer to your question about what I was hoping to get from being a librarian. I think I'm one of those people who say "I love books," and coupling that with the idea that I love researching things, I thought I might make a good reference librarian. I am being told over and over that loving books is not enough, and I'm just not sure anymore what I want to do for a living. Publishing? Sure...if there were actually any publishers around here (and it seems to me that anywhere there are publishers, there is a higher cost of living because you're going to be near some sort of city).

For years and years, I thought working in a library would be *so cool* and now I'm finding it's pretty darned dull.

I'm probably suffering from a case of burnout and/or depression. I was let go from my last job in June 2009 and was so destroyed from the way I was treated in that toxic environment that I declared I was never going to work again; I could NOT work ever again. Unfortunately, I ran out of money and had to find something. I thought that maybe I could make a fresh start in this field. I'm only into it by about six months and already I feel like I've got to move on.

I did work in a public library for about six weeks last year. I liked it better than this, but then, it wasn't a typical public library. It was very small, very clean and in an upper middle class community. No smelly drunk patrons or any of the stuff I see posted in librarian groups about the downfalls of public libraries. I wish I could have stayed there, but there were no benefits and no full time jobs on offer.

I'm sorry if I sound hopeless here. I can't seem to shake the down feeling I've had lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    Hey frugalone -

what were you looking for from being a librarian? I have worked as a cataloger, children's services, IT, reference, in public, university, and community college libraries. Right now I'm feeling a little like you! My favorite part of work was teaching Research Workshops, but because of severe hearing loss I'm an unable to teach. So I am on the reference desk (I hear/speech-read well enough for one-on-one, face to face) and doing book selection, weeding, and whatever cataloging the 'official cataloger' allows me. It's less than inspiring!

I loved story-telling - being a children's librarian can be a blast. I also enjoyed the period when libraries were just becoming automated - I oversaw retrospective conversion projects at 3 different libraries. Now I'm not sure what I'm doing - it was one year yesterday since my hearing loss and I am no closer to an answer. Well, I'm writing a novel but not counting on that as a second career! I suggest working at a public library before bailing on the idea entirely (public library pay is low, tho'.)

Fortunately I'm pretty much FI - just have a hard time letting go of the monthly paycheck and the carrot of a pension if I hang on for another 5 years....

Our library director is planning on retiring in June and I'm going to apply for that position - we'll see what happens.

Before I had dd I worked various second jobs (wanted to get that mortgage paid off!) I had a second-hand store that focused on books (found I hated retail), worked for a textbook publisher as a fact-checker (fun at the time - pre-internet.) Maybe you'd enjoy something on the publishing end - books or magazines?

I guess you have the time to explore some options!

Frugalone,

Maybe give your mind a break for a bit. What do you enjoy doing that currently has nothing to do with work? Sounds like your first answer may be reading (me too!), but think outside of the box. Gardening? Biking? Cooking? Window shopping? Painting? It helps me to "lose myself" (an incorrect phrase really as I tend to find myself when doing this) in something else. If you can find a constructive habit or hobby to dive into right now, I think some weight will be lifted, clouded thoughts will part and you will have the outlook and outcome you are striving for soon. In the meantime, do what you can at your current job while knowing as my gma would say "This too shall pass".

HomemadeChange, I'm going to have to try that. I do have some hobbies that I have been neglected.
    I'm a little worried because this is becoming almost an obsession with me (the job issues, that is). When I'm at home, I can't stop worrying about it. It's on my mind when I go to sleep and when I wake up.

I feel this pressure to "get going" with my life--I feel like I "lost" three years of my life and at age 48, I should be figuring out "what I want to do when I grow up." I've been working on and off for 30 years now, and except for one, job, I never felt like I was in the right place vocationally.

Another thing that worries me about this situation is the pay. It is not quite enough. Having posted about this in the past, I'm not going to go into why and the specifics of my household expenses--please just take my word for it.

Something else I didn't mention: the thought of going through the whole interviewing process again terrifies me. All that "where do you see yourself in five years" cr*p. That's one thing I LIKE about my employer--they didn't ask me anything like that!

Thank you for your very excellent suggestion. I do hope I get some clarity on this issue soon.

P.S. My sister always says "this too shall pass!"

Thread Information