Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watch and timepiece rant - join in

I have looked at used watches at thrift stores but usually the price is pretty high for the better looking ones and I have no way of knowing how quickly I will need to repair or replace the battery so not keen on that approach to date.
    Not ever been on eBay so hesitant about going there.
    I did some research on the Skagen as I was not aware of them so that might be a possibility to consider.
    I want a watch company that stands behind its product.

MamaM
    It's funny, because I don't see as many people wearing watches these days. Watches take me right back to my Nanna, who has a classy lady. She had a simple leather band with rectagle faced watch with one small diamond in it. She always looked so chic with her watch. I am going to wear mine more now, just because of my Nanna and her memory.

I've noticed over the years that a lot of folks wear watches as a form of fashion over function and therefore require several. I'm more of a function kinda guy and although I have a few, that's only because I've been gifted several over time.
    When I was in the service in the early 70's I bought a Seiko and wore it exclusively through the mid 80's when I shattered the crystal playing baseball. I replaced it with the same model Seiko and still wear it to this day. Other than replacing the battery every 3 or 4 years, it's been maintenance free.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I never thought I would, but I don't wear watches as much anymore, as I check the time on my cell phone. I do have a few watches, two of which were my grandfathers (one needs reoiling and the other a hand fell off but is still under the glass), and the others are Casio g shock watches (recommended to me by LEO's I know). One of the G shocks, saved my arm (the band took the cut I would have had) and I still have it, because I am sure I have a spare band (don't remember what I did with it), and I leave it in the toolbox until then, as a reminder. My first watch was a Timex and I was somewhere between 6 and 8. I had it until a couple of years ago, when I put it in a garage sale. (don't need a kids watch that looks like a woman's watch on an adults arm)

I think wearing a decent watch is a nice tradition, whether it's fashion or function. I only wear one about half the time and have a sturdy waterproof Timex with an illuminating dial that nice to have travelling and outdoor work. I was given two other watches that are nicer and wear them for social occasions. I think if the two nicer ones quit working and were hard to fix, I'd look around on eBay or local jewelers for an older refurbished one.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

I wear my aunt's Citizen watch that she bought in the 70's. I didn't realize it was high end. (I just read that here.) I love it. It's simple, small, elegant, and it reminds me of her. She wore it every day. All I've had to do was replace the battery. I will keep it forever.

If I were looking for a watch I'd buy a vintage or antique one on EBay.

I "need" a watch for work so I can keep track of folks heartrates/respiratory rates. I have a man's Timex for that.

If I was not working...the cellphone would be enough.....or the clock on the computer.

My goal is to need only a calendar...not a watch...

Work in progress.....
    author of A Holy Errand

I never wear a watch - ever. Heck half the time I have no idea what day of the week it is let alone the time. Ah....retirement, when you don't need to know the time, the date, the day or even the month :-)!

rodeosweetheart
    I find that I use my watches to keep me on track time-wise, as I have problems in that area--for example, schooling a horse, when you want to only work that horse for 30 minutes, because that is part of your training plan, or walking for 45 so that you know you have walked enough. So I think I would use my watches more in retirement, since I work at the computer and always know what time it is, unfortunately!

I love not being dependent on the energy-sucking cell phone for this--there is something so elegant and self-sufficient about a wind up watch. When were were going to Dr. Mercola (I was a patient of his) he recommended only wind up watches because of the EMF, but most of mine have batteries. The coolest new vintage ones I found at the thrift shop are windups, though, and now Iris has inspired me to win a windup alarm clock on ebay, so now I am goign to have to add watch/clock winding to the daily activities.

I find the watches very centering.

Thread Information