Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Making The Bed

I don't like tucked in sheets either, so I make the bed without the sheets tucked in...it does make the whole room feel neater to me and I like the feeling of getting in it at night...

I love making our bed. Since I work at home, it's one of the things I do to take a break. We launder our bedding every Sunday. I mostly do the laundry, DH carries the laundry basket for me as my back cannot handle it right now, and he makes our bed Sunday evening. It's a sweet rhythm that's evolved over the years.

I make my bed everyday the moment I get up (and...sigh...still do hospital corners and make it tight enough to bounce a quarter off it. you can take girl out of the military but...:-)!). When I was married who ever got up last made the bed - or we made it together if we woke at the same time which was usually the case. We also washed bedding together and made up the bed together if we were both in town, otherwise if one of us was gone the other did it.

I make my bed. We have a small home and seeing a unmade bed is a downer to me. I don't have the option to "hide" the bed during the day, so it gets made.

Simpler at Fifty
    DH makes the bed every day because he is the last one out. I have always made my bed, he did not. He does it now and never complains. I think it makes the room look neater.

Informing responses. Other that habit, I like to get into a neat, tightly made bed a night so it matters to me. My husband, who never made a bed after he got out of boot camp, doesn’t care and as he is 6’5” tall his feet hang over the end of the bed so a tight bed is just a annoyance to him. Sometimes I wish I could go with a unmade bed and even though I try, I probably never will. In the end, it’s like which to do you prefer crunchy or creamy peanut butter, it’s just a preference. By the way, I prefer crunchy and my husband prefers creamy.

Mom always insisted on a made bed when I was a kid. When dh and I married, there were several habits I instantly abandoned - bedmaking being one of them. Through the first 25 years of marriage bedmaking was haphazard. Then it became a new years resolution that stuck and I do make my bed every single day for the last five years. When dh and I are both home we share installing the sheets after they have been washed. Yummy - nothing better than tucking yourself into a freshly laundered bed.

We just use a duvet with cover, so no extra sheets to tuck in or fuss with. Making the bed consists of pulling the duvet cover into position, and refluffing the pillows. I leave well before everyone else is up, so DH or our helper usually does it on weekdays. I'll do it on the weekends after letting things air out for a couple of hours.

I really like the feel of freshly washed sheets, but it is a hassle to put our duvet back in the cover so I don't wash it as often as I should.

lhamo
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Trapping all that body heat and sweat into the bedding when you make it is absolutely LOVED by all the dust mites and other microscopic bugs that live in your bed. We don't make the bed but straighten it out and keep the top half folded down for it to air out and keep the bug population down.

I was forced to as a child. Most days as an adult I have NOT made my bed. For years, pretty much the only time my bed gets made is when I change the sheets. Other than making the room look neat, I see utterly no point to it, for me (no pets, etc.).

Thread Information