Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No-shampoo method (free) vs. Wen haircare system ($30 up)

I was doing the conditioner-only method of washing hair, then I switched to BS/Vinegar. It was just OK but seemed more work than it was worth. Since getting my hair highlighted, I've gone back to COwashing. This time of year I only wash 3 times a week, but by day 3, which falls on a Sat., it's kinda grungy, and I work that day. So now I'm using Pureology $hampoo on Thurs. so it's OK on Sat.

Since it's quite long now it doesn't get as oily but I hate that scalpy smell. During the warmer months I'll just rinse with water during my shower on my non-washing days.

This winter I experimented with going soapless in the shower so I don't overdry my skin and so far it's going well.

I really wanted the BS/V to work; my hair was so clean and light feeling. It was a PITA to do in the shower though.

I'm with Jane and Gregg on this - just use a basic inexpensive (Suave?) shampoo/creme rinse combo and that's it - no other products. Long very straight fine hair that tends to the oily side so the fewer products I use the better - and it usually looks good. If it's too labor intensive I won't do it. Also use an inexpensive bar soap (Pure and Natural) to wash face and body with Aveeno lotion afterwards. That's my entire "beauty" regiment right there!

I was doing the conditioner-only method of washing hair
    Yea I've tried that, go too many days without shampoo and my hair looks dull and lifeless (maybe I'd need a special conditioner or whatever, I don't know). But use shampoo at least ever other to every 3 days and hair is shiny and nice looking again and it's not some esoteric thing I have to figure out the secrets of, it's using shampoo and conditioner and getting nice hair in return.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Yea I've tried that, go too many days without shampoo and my hair looks dull and lifeless (maybe I'd need a special conditioner or whatever, I don't know). But use shampoo at least ever other to every 3 days and hair is shiny and nice looking again and it's not some esoteric thing I have to figure out the secrets of, it's using shampoo and conditioner and getting nice hair in return.
    I agree. I think it needs a good but gentle cleaning occasionally to remove the build up. BTW, I use cheap VO-5 conditioner (no -cones).

I used to use cheap shampoos but they really strip your hair. I chose Pureology, which is pretty expensive, because it's made for color-treated hair, sulphate-free and is super concentrated. My little bottle should last me well over a year. Since highlighing my hair, other shampoos make my hair instantly seize up; it becomes this stiff water-repelling rat's nest on my head. Never knew hair could be sensitive.

Shikai makes a really nice inexpensive lathering sulphate-free shampoo that cleans well and is gentle on hair.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaM View Post
    I received the WEN as a gift..I didn't like it. I felt greasy and weighed down. Maybe because I have naturally more oily hair. I would suggest something more simple.
    I usually have the same problem with these things. I pretty much have to wash my hair everyday or I look like a hot mess.

Thanks for all the replies! I think you all have talked some sense into me. I rarely get taken in by those infomercials but I have been on a lifelong quest to find something to "fix" my hair so it touched my weak spot.

Jill,

What is the 'problem' of your hair? Perhaps we can put some heads/research together and see what might work.

Thread Information