Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shift Work Schedule Can Be Pretty Grueling

So many stories from you all, thank you for your support! I have just never experienced a schedule like this...but I have good news! I took the Ambien last night and was out like a light by 10:30, never heard KB come in, never woke up, had some crazy wonderful dreams, heard the alarm go off at 5am, only hit the snooze button once, got up and ready, and didn't even feel like I had a slight hangover like I did the day before last after trying it. Work went pretty well and I feel much more my old self, thank god! I realize now between 3:30 pm yesterday and 5am today, I slept a total of 12 hours!

I don't have to work until 8am tomorrow, so I get to sort of "sleep in" and next week I only have one opening shift. The trick is to not rely on the Ambien to sleep well, but only use it on an emergency basis. I am trying hard not to nap this afternoon so I will be real tired when I go to bed tonight and just use my tea to go to sleep.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    So many stories from you all, thank you for your support! I have just never experienced a schedule like this...but I have good news! I took the Ambien last night and was out like a light by 10:30, never heard KB come in, never woke up, had some crazy wonderful dreams, heard the alarm go off at 5am, only hit the snooze button once, got up and ready, and didn't even feel like I had a slight hangover like I did the day before last after trying it. Work went pretty well and I feel much more my old self, thank god! I realize now between 3:30 pm yesterday and 5am today, I slept a total of 12 hours!

I don't have to work until 8am tomorrow, so I get to sort of "sleep in" and next week I only have one opening shift. The trick is to not rely on the Ambien to sleep well, but only use it on an emergency basis. I am trying hard not to nap this afternoon so I will be real tired when I go to bed tonight and just use my tea to go to sleep.
    I'm glad you're getting some well-earned and deserved sleep. I know, it makes a huge, huge, huge difference in your quality of life....Here's hoping that you can find some kind of balance that works for you in this situation.....Rob

Sleep in? Ha! I woke up at 4am, even after taking an Ambien at 11pm. I did not nap yesterday after work, either. My body chemistry is really weird; I slept 5 hours in the past 24, even with an Ambien? WTF?

I've suffered from sleep issues, too, and I one point kept a similarly intense schedule like yours. I've never taken Ambien, but I'm curious, are you supposed to take it a certain amount of time before you go to sleep (30 minutes, an hour, etc.)? Also, it sounds like you have trouble getting to sleep, but also staying asleep, and even with going back to sleep if you wake up after only a few hours of sleep. Did your doctor have recommendations for dealing with each of these three, seemingly distinct, issues? Personally, I've found meditation to be very relaxing and it helps me to relax to the point where I can fall asleep easily. My partner found a white noise machine is exactly what he needed to be able to a full night of deep, restful sleep. Good luck -- I hope you can get it sorted out soon!

Thread Information