Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss Challenge?

Weight Loss Challenge?

Would anyone be up for a group weight loss challenge, kind of like those ones where whole towns keep track of the total weight lost?

Kind of like the health thread, but up a notch.

Although the thought of it scares me a bit!!
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

rodeosweetheart
    Quote Originally Posted by fidgiegirl View Post
    Would anyone be up for a group weight loss challenge, kind of like those ones where whole towns keep track of the total weight lost?

Kind of like the health thread, but up a notch.

Although the thought of it scares me a bit!!
    I'd be up for it! How often would we check in?

MamaM
    I will join. What do I have to do?

I'm in! I need to lose at least 10 lbs., would be happier with 15 and ecstatic if I lost 20.
    My blog: The Game Ranch

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by rodeosweetheart View Post
    I'd be up for it! How often would we check in?
    Well, I'm a big fan of people doing what works for them; for me, it would likely need to be a daily check in to keep good behaviors at top of mind. I envision it somewhat like the frugals thread where some people benefit just as much by reading as by posting, and some people post more than others and in more detail or less. Know what I mean?

Maybe we should weigh in once a week? Not necessarily our actual weight if that's too personal to report, but the change from week to week? Like the first week we could report that we have weighed and either share or not share the number. And then the next week we can share the difference for that week as well as total lost in the subsequent weeks. Sound good?

My goal weight is about 25 lb. less than what I currently weigh. That number has been hanging out there, unattained, for about the last four years. That would put me at a BMI of 24, the upper edge of the healthy range. However, I also know that I can start to feel better and stronger without even losing weight, but if I start to run about 3x/wk. I will slim down in the middle and my back pain will be reduced. That's why a crew of of co-losers would be so helpful for me - so that when I start to let the numbers get to my head, and thus make me give up what I am doing well - I don't throw in the towel. Silly! Self-defeating! I know those things, but that's happened in the past.

Some easy first steps: Focusing on adding in a salad has helped with portion control at dinner. We can take longer dog walks. And I have a phone coach I plan to call through my health insurance and I plan to work toward some weight loss items. We have to do a health activity anyway to get the lower copay next year, so I might as well actually derive benefit from it . . . However, I am nervous that this person will only have generic advice that has not worked for me in the past due to the gluten sensitivity. Am trying not to let my food anxieties get the better of me in approaching the coaching.

How about others? Where are you at?
    Kelli

I'm in! I'm about 10 days in to Atkins induction, and down 2kgs from where I was when I started, but I easily need to lose 5-10kgs more.

My main challenges at the moment are sticking to the very low carb Atkins approach, which means no refined grains, sweets or fruit. I cut up some apples for my kids this weekend and it was really a challenge not to eat a piece! I have told them if they want snacks/dessert, they need to ask their dad because MOMMY CAN'T TOUCH THE CHOCOLATE! I did do one bad cheat this weekend. There was about a tablespoon of maple syrup left in the dish I put it in after they had their pancakes yesterday. I ate it. It was SOOOOOO GOOOOD! But overpoweringly sweet and then I had a serious crash after lunch that I think was due to that, so good evidence that I can't indulge in that kind of stuff.

I'm loving my veggies, though! Made roasted eggplant on Saturday, which was delicious and a huge hit with DH/DS, as was the mashed cauliflower and leeks, and then had my tacos in lettuce leaves last night. DH liked it that way, too.

Next week is goign to be hard as I am going to be at a conference in Taiwan with lots of banquety type meals. I'll just have to focus on portion control and eat as much veggies and seafood as I can.

Interesting side effect of all of this is that I have not been gassy AT ALL since I started induction, even with eating lots of cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli. I think I may have a gluten intolerance. I had HORRIBLE gas and stomach pains a couple of times while I was visiting the inlaws, which seemed to come after eating dumplings (made with wheat flour). Hmmm. Will be interesting to see what happens if/when I try reintroducing wheat in small amounts.
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

This is a good time of year to get started on the healthy journey....again.
    I want to get fit again. Have been very lazy since the accident. I'd like to start walking daily and get back into some weight training. My 15 year old may be my good motivation partner on this.
    My lake kayak season is just around the corner!
    I know I need to get off the diet coke again (talk about an addiction).
    I also need to take time to pack a salad for lunch every day that I work. It's too easy to run out and grab something or worse not eat anything and then crash and overeat when I get home.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

MamaM
    I am also focusing on health and being fit. I have a lot of weight to lose and sometimes, when I think about it, it's overwhelming. But I can work on taking a walk today, drinking that next glass of water and not eating ice cream for today.

I refuse to do anything unnatural or quick fix. I am really finding out what foods appeal to me and how to cook them in a healthy way. I am also trying to figure out how to be mroe active- increase a little each day/week/month, until it becomes natural.

rodeosweetheart
    I am so not up for an actual weight. But will share how much (or if) I have lost. Do you think a weekly weigh in the best, or twice a week, Fiji, since you are thinking you would be best motivated with daily? How about a twice a week weigh in compromise--like Thursday/Monday or something? Or Friday Tuesday? Or just once a week, if that is best for the group.

And I need to lose 53 pounds. There. I said it. Aghgghghgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steroids for asthma have devastated my glucose levels and when I have to take prednisone, they are soaring off the chart. In order to avoid diabetes, I have to lose weight.

Welcome aboard, everyone!!! I am excited to embark on this with people I "know" and trust versus some of the tracking sites like MyFitnessPal or SparkPeople.

Quote Originally Posted by rodeosweetheart View Post
    Do you think a weekly weigh in the best, or twice a week, Fiji, since you are thinking you would be best motivated with daily? How about a twice a week weigh in compromise--like Thursday/Monday or something? Or Friday Tuesday? Or just once a week, if that is best for the group.

And I need to lose 53 pounds. There. I said it. Aghgghghgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Go, rodeo! You said it! Awesome.

I think I was confusing with my first post. I would like us to weigh in weekly, but I know that I should post about habits and the little steps daily. Make more sense? Weekly is easy to remember for most people, and doesn't give too much time to veer off track if bad habits are starting to take hold. Shall we say every Monday, since today is Monday? Grab a baseline weight in the next few days here if that is going to be your thing . . . even if you are not weighing in you'd be welcome to participate in the way that benefits you most.

I have my base weight. Luckily, it is 3 lbs. less than what I thought I was at, so that puts me at needing to lose 22. If only it were that easy from here on out!

Today I had a yogurt and pineapple for breakfast, an almond milk chai for morning drink, a salad with hard boiled egg and walnuts/rice crackers/hummus/apple for lunch, an afternoon tea made with water, a few more of the crackers as an afternoon snack, and now we are going to have BBQ beef sandwich and some fries for dinner - not particularly the healthiest. I went on the elliptical for 30 min. at the gym. We'll walk the dogs later.
    Kelli

Thread Information